Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 06-08-2004, 10:00 PM
Pat Logsdon
Magi
Default Cell Phone Firms Sued Over "Lock" Codes

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5160230/

"A consumer watchdog group sued three cell phone companies on Monday for "locking" their phones to make it harder for customers to switch carriers. The Foundation for Taxpayer and Consumer Rights filed suit accusing AT&T Wireless Services Inc., T-Mobile USA Inc. and Cingular Wireless, of using software in their handsets that prevents them from being used on a competitors' network. The practice effectively thwarts recent federal regulations allowing people to retain their phone numbers when switching mobile carriers, according to the lawsuit, filed in Superior Court in Los Angeles.

The lawsuit accuses the companies of engaging in unfair and deceptive business practices under state law. "If you can use the same phone number with other carriers, you should be able to use the same phone," said Jordan Lurie, an attorney representing the plaintiffs. The phone companies
[of course - PL] defend their policy, saying they routinely subsidize handset cost. Companies would lose money if they allowed customers to then use those phones with another carrier."

What do you think? Is it about time someone sued the cell phone companies, or is this this going too far? Has anyone not been able to retain their number because of this? I want DIRT, people! :mrgreen:

Old 06-08-2004, 10:02 PM
saquibk
Pupil
Default Great Job!!

It was indeed time that someone sued this companies. We are anyway bound by their year long contracts so what's the point of locking the phones that we have paid for, even though it is a subsidized price.

Old 06-08-2004, 10:19 PM
Eitel
Theorist

What's going to happen now is that this companies are going to drop the phone discounts that they have now, and phone prices are going to go up. A phone that now costs $99 subsidized, is going to cost around $400 then.

Old 06-08-2004, 10:32 PM
Blue Zero
Ponderer

However which they claim phone are subsidized, they are NOT...

We all know how much certain cell phone true cost, but yet they go around saying its suppose to cost $400!

Key word: suppose

In my area, one such carrier sells a 8years old Nokia for $200!
What! $200!! for something that dont even fit in my largest baggy pants... :evil:

I say, Sue them for ripping our wallet apart!

Old 06-08-2004, 10:33 PM
djdj
Intellectual

I'm not sure about other carriers, but T-Mobile will give unlock codes at no charge if you ask for them (once the cost of the phone is at least mostly subsidized).

Just email [email protected] with your IMEI (serial) number and account information.

Old 06-08-2004, 10:35 PM
bitbank
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to bitbank

It's time to remove the phone locking and subsidies. Why should every cellphone customer pay to subsidize someone else's hardware? e.g. if I join T-Mobile and use the cheapy Nokia 36xx phone, my monthly bill is still subsidizing the other T-Mobile customers who use the expensive phones.

If the phone companies do change their policy and are honest about it, then removing the phone subsidies should coincide with a general price drop for monthly service.

L.B.

Old 06-08-2004, 10:51 PM
SubFuze
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to SubFuze Send a message via AIM to SubFuze

Locking phones to a carrier is fine if the company will give you the unlock code after your contract is up. AT&T and Cingular won't give out unlock codes after your term is up, and that is lawsuit worthy. However, I really don't see a problem with them making it more difficult to move to another carrier during your contract (T-Mobile will give you an unlock code if your contract is fulfilled - which is why when my contract with AT&T was up, I chose T-Mobile (and paid $25 to have my AT&T phone unlocked so I would have a back-up phone)). What's really wrong is if you pay full price for a phone at a major retail store in the U.S. (ie- you don't want/need a contract), your phone will still be locked to the carrier. I see this lawsuit as a good thing if it does nothing more than raise awareness of the issue...

Old 06-08-2004, 10:55 PM
SeanH
Theorist

This is a great thing. Next someone needs to sue for all the surcharges we pay on are cell, and wired phone. It�s miscellaneous fee after miscellaneous fee.

This is from last month�s cell phone

REGULATORY PROGRAMS FEE 04/15/04 - 05/14/04 $ 1.75
STATE AND LOCAL SALES TAX $ 6.72
UNIVERSAL CONNECTIVITY CHARGE $ 2.40
FEDERAL TAX $ 2.94

Last months home phone

Lorain County E911 $ .40
Local Number Portability Surch $ .74
Access Charge Per FCC Order $ 12.66
TRA Negative Surcharge Res -$ 4.46
Federal Tax $1.49
State Tax $ 2.63
Surcharge Tax $ .19
Federal Universal Service Fee $ 1.10

I rented a car last month for 9 days at $32 a day plus these

Airport Access Charge 11.110% $ 35.69
Consolidated Facility Charge $ 9.00
Vehicle License Fee Recovery $ 2.52
Surcharge $18.00
Sales Tax 6.00% $ 25.04

I am sure a lot of these fee�s are made up but you do not have any options except getting rid of your cell after a contract or getting rid of your home phone, or when you rent a car make them send to a full disclosure of surplus fees when you book it.

Sean

Old 06-08-2004, 11:06 PM
tennr
Neophyte

What seems to be missing here is that while on one hand they say we would loose money because of the subsidation... they ALSO charge you on the backend if you early terminate.

So which do they want... phones locked or no early termination fee?

Seems to me they are trying to play both sides of the coin. :evil:

Here is a helpfull hint if find yourself in this perdicerment... do a search for CyberGSM, it's free... information should be free, so there is some free information. I disclaim myself from all liability of your use of free information :wink:

Old 06-08-2004, 11:24 PM
werb
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to werb

One thing that nobody has clearly aknowledge in here is that companies are in business to make money.. the more you hack away at their ability to do so the more you will in turn suffer. I like a good deal just like the next guy but at the same time i try to keep in mind that a profit has to be made to.. i mean think how you would feel if you owned the company and everyone says that you should give everything to your customers and keep nothing for yourself.. would you still be able to maintain your business if that were the case.. so next time you worry about subsidies and lock codes think about it this way.. dont sign the contract dont buy the locked phone pay full price for an unlocked phone and sign on a mth to mth basis.. or take the price cut get a deal sign the contract and stay with the provider you all know what you are getting into if you do the research anyone who claims ignorance of their contract deserves to get skrewed over by the corporation..

www.tekntoys.com