Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 06-08-2004, 02:30 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Pocket MSN Soft-Launches

http://mobile.msn.com/ac.aspx?cid=uuhp_pocketmsn

A few weeks ago, Microsoft finally quietly posted a beta of Pocket MSN. For some reason, we didn't pick it up then -- but here's the lowdown.

"Be among the first to try Pocket MSN! You get mobile access to popular MSN services plus a richer experience with these new features*:
  • Familiar & Integrated MSN Experience - Enjoy one-click access to MSN Hotmail, MSN Messenger, MSN Alerts, and browse MSN sites including Maps & Directions**. With Pocket MSN your Hotmail is conveniently integrated into your device inbox and using the MSN toolbar icons you can see how many new emails you have received.
  • More Reachable - Remain available to the people & information that matter most to you, even when your device is in your pocket or handbag. You will be alerted on your device when new email or instant messages arrive. Using these alerts you can immediately join the conversation or read your new Hotmail.
  • Expanded Mobility - With offline Hotmail capabilities, you can read and compose emails when no data connection is available, like on an airplane. Also, send email to offline MSN Messenger contacts.
  • Personalization - Set Hotmail filters to only receive email from the people you designate. Pre-select who can send instant messages to your mobile device and whose Messenger status changes you want to see.
  • Maps & Directions - On-the-fly mapping means finding just about anything on the go."
Here's the kicker, though -- you get a 6 month trial free, but after that it's a whopping $24.99 every 6 months, or about $50 a year. 8O I'm not sure it's worth that much for me. Has someone tried the trial, and if so, can you give us your impressions as to how useful it is?

Old 06-08-2004, 02:35 AM
Gremmie
Philosopher
Default Re: Pocket MSN Soft-Launches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Here's the kicker, though -- you get a 6 month trial free, but after that it's a whopping $24.99 every 6 months, or about $50 a year. 8O I'm not sure it's worth that much for me. Has someone tried the trial, and if so, can you give us your impressions as to how useful it is?
Absurd. I have always thought that Apple has successfully merged their multiple (non-internet) services without extra surcharges or subscriptions. Why can't Microsoft do the same? Pay 20+ for internet per month plus another $4 per month for this? *sigh*

Old 06-08-2004, 03:02 AM
pschultz
Intellectual

I signed up for the trial. It works great so for. I don't know if it will be worth the cost though.

EDIT: I just realized that since the Inbox doesn't support HTML email :evil: , Pocket MSN won't do me much good. Therefore, I quickly canceled my subscription.

Old 06-08-2004, 03:27 AM
jonlien2003
Pupil

I also tried it out and have mixed feelings about it. I feel the Inbox integration of Hotmail is great. However, there is no option to automatically download the whole message. It only downloads the first 2K of the message. Also, you can only view the first 50 messages.

My colleague who also tried out the software was not able to logon successfully no matter how many attempts he made. He even uninstalled and reinstalled it with no luck.

This is a step in the right direction, but there are some features that definitely needs ironing out before there can be an official launch.

Old 06-08-2004, 03:35 AM
CTSLICK
Sage

At that cost I will dismiss this out of hand...I'd sooner pay Yahoo! for pop email

Old 06-08-2004, 03:52 AM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

That seems a bit steep for my liking...

Jeez...

Old 06-08-2004, 04:16 AM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus

Not for $50/yr. No way.

Old 06-08-2004, 05:06 AM
GF
Pupil

Can someone tell me whether the MSN messenger will be disconnected when I am using the phone serivice?

Thanks,
Galen

Old 06-08-2004, 05:11 AM
David C
Intellectual

I still feel giped. :evil:

I know that it is up to the manufacture to update WM2003. But I don't like to think that my PPC2002 device is becoming worthless because my manufacture has decided to go out of bussiness.

I see more and more microsoft product not supporting older PPC. Pocket MSN is an example. I think microsoft should come out with their own universal patch that can patch up older PPC to be as compatible as possbile. Especially programs that are not hardware specific, like IE, media player, and other stuff.

I know that I can just buy a new PDA. But there really isn't anything out there that is worth me upgrading right now. I feel that microsoft should do their share in supporting their OS, and not just leave it completly up to the manufactures. Everyone is trying to kick the ball to the other side.

In some way, PDAs are still very new product. If microsoft really want to see PPC take off, they should take care of the people that believe in them and stuck with them the first place: the early adapters.

Old 06-08-2004, 05:16 AM
nirav28
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to nirav28
Default no way

I'll pay $10-15 a year for Pop3 or even HTTP access to hotmail/msn for one year. But thats it. No way I pay would pay more for the other crap msn offers such as money, weather sports..I can easily get all that free from yahoo mobile and sites like pdaportal.com