Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 06-03-2004, 12:00 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default Windows Media Player 10 Beta Available

http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/1086198655.html

Ars Technica just put the following story up:

"Microsoft today released a public beta of Windows Media Player 10. As it stands now, WMP 10 will be able to do some automatic synchronization of music, video, photos, and other files between a handful of devices and a user's PC. Later, Microsoft's Media Transfer Protocol will control the synchronization process once hardware supporting that feature is released. In addition, the interface has been simplified and allows users greater control over browsing and organizing media libraries."

"Microsoft's goals with WMP 10 are twofold. First, they want tighter integration between the PC and digital media players. One reason for Apple's success with the iPod has been the ease with which users can move music and data between player and computer. Microsoft is shooting to mimic this aspect of the user experience with WMP 10 and supported devices."

Now that certainly sounds promising. 8) So, feeling brave or have a scratch computer kicking about for this 'technical beta'? Then head over to Microsoft, where they will be delighted to send you a stream of electrons that will (as if by magic) be reassembled to become the 11Mb download. (Windows XP only). I'm intrigued to see the new library organisation and the automatic synchronization to device features. However, I am reluctant to commit either of my two 'production' PCs to the cause. :? Bear in mind this warning at the MS download site:

"This release is not for production use, and we suggest that you run the software in a test environment or back up your existing data, including music and video files, before you install and run the software on your computer."

You have been warned! Anyone care to let us know how it goes for them? :wink:

Old 06-03-2004, 12:39 AM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Tried it this afternoon. Nice design for the most part, but I also have the bug with the taskbar tray app is making me want to uninstall it.

Old 06-03-2004, 12:40 AM
theone3
Intellectual

I tried this a while back, when it was very buggy. (Stable, but things were in the wrong place etc..) I would not reccomend installing this release unless your computer is in a fairly 'clean' state, and you don't mind having to format to remove it .

First Impressions?: A minor update with an interface fix-up. Looking good, but not quite ready yet.

Old 06-03-2004, 12:47 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Cheers for that.

I can really reccoment the artist shown playing in the screenshot btw. Andy Hunter is a great Christian techno artist/youth worker in the UK/Europe . I have seen him DJ and have this album, which is superb! You can listen to most of it at Andy's website.

Old 06-03-2004, 01:00 AM
Toshi
Pupil
Default Any improvement

Has the codecs been improved?

Old 06-03-2004, 02:07 AM
sponge
Philosopher

I'll stick with Media Player Classic methinks.

Old 06-03-2004, 02:12 AM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge
or you could just open C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe 0X

Old 06-03-2004, 02:36 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

And just minutes ago, I downloaded WMP7.1.

(but it's for a really, really old machine. People in this family have an issue with paying for technology. :? )

Old 06-03-2004, 02:38 AM
sponge
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUKid7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge
or you could just open C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe 0X
That works, Media Player Classic adds a whole bunch of new features, Real Player, Flash, and Quicktime support with the proper codecs for one. Play DVDs with menus, etc.

Old 06-03-2004, 03:47 AM
Gremmie
Philosopher

I just migrated to iTunes (converted WMA to MP3). I like the integrated iTunes store. I like the WMP 10 syncability, but I use MightySync which allows me to sync My Music with my Microdrive. I use MediaPlayer classic for QuickTime, Real, WMA, etc.