¹ Universal Could Take a Bite Out of Apple - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 01-18-2007, 02:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Universal Could Take a Bite Out of Apple

http://tinyurl.com/2wnt2o

"Other recording companies have yet to follow Universal's hard-line lead, particularly in suing online video and social networking sites. They appear happy to let Morris carry the fight through lawsuits and other measures. In his tussle with YouTube, Morris called the site a hub for pirated music videos and negotiated a licensing deal that landed Universal and other labels small stakes in the company just before it was acquired by Google for $1.76 billion US last year. Morris has already suggested, albeit guardedly, that his next target will be iPod-maker and No. 1 online music retailer Apple Inc. With Apple's licensing deal to sell Universal music on iTunes set to expire in May, Morris said, "there might be other ways to get paid." Last fall, Morris threatened not to license Universal music to Microsoft just days before it was scheduled to launch its own online music store and its Zune digital music player. In response, the software company coughed up a royalty of just over a dollar for every Zune sold and paid music fees."

Whether you like it or not (chances are, you don't), Universal is on a mission to milk everything for what it's worth. Zune, of course, fell victim to the label's strong-arm tactics late last year, and come May, the iPod could be next. And beyond? Only time will tell.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:34 PM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

The Zune fell victim to Microsoft poisoning the waters for the competition, plain and simple. I hope Apple tells 'em to shove it right along with their "you're a pirate because you own a portable audio player" tax.

Old 01-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Sage
Ponderer

The major music labels are greedy, arrogant and Ludditian. I can't wait for the day when the internet allows small labels and bands to thrive without the need for Universal's PR and distrubition clout.

Last edited by Sage; 01-18-2007 at 03:56 PM..

Old 01-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent M Ferrari View Post
The Zune fell victim to Microsoft poisoning the waters for the competition, plain and simple.
What the heck does that mean? Please expand upon this concept...

Old 01-18-2007, 07:38 PM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

Unless I'm completely wrong and somehow a music company managed to bring a company with 85% of the OS market share to its knees, Microsoft gave in to Universal with their per-device fee in order to make it more expensive for the people they're competing against to carry Universal's music.

It's not such a wacky theory and frankly it explains a lot, namely why any company would automatically go along with this "piracy tax."

Old 01-18-2007, 07:58 PM
kryptman40k
Pupil

I think people are making a big deal out of very little. I mean, if you knew where most of your dollars went when you bought a hamburger you probably wouldn't be that happy about it either.

So universal gets a dollar out of my zune. Good for them. They haven't made a doller out of me in a good 15 years because they don't put out decent music.

Lots of companies strike deals to cut into the profits of others, thats just how our amazing system works.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:05 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

And I'm sure the fight that MS wanted to ahve on its hands the moment the Zune launched was with the RIAA to get content on its device. Universal has been trying to do this to Apple for a long time.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:14 PM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage

The schmuck from Universal said that he wanted the money because he knew there was unpaid for content on people's Zunes that belonged to Universal. Microsoft agreed and gave him the money.

You guys don't realize it, but that's the start of what's going on with Vista and their "design compatible hardware with the help of content providers" processes.

MS Acquiesced to claims its users were all pirates. If you're okay with that, so be it.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:16 PM
rohitharsh
Pupil
Default MS did the right thing

First of all MS did the right thing by paying the Universal at that moment. This is not a school fight where you act on emotion. At the time MS needed Universal so they went ahead with the deal. In future MS will expect something back from them.
As Bryan Lee said “"We went to them when we started up with the Zune and said, 'We can do this to you, or we can do this with you. We want to do it with you,'" Lee said.”
In business you do not start a confrontation from the word go. In case by paying $1 to Universal if MS does get a better deal where they get exclusive content then it will be worth it. Or if they get the Universal to relax the 3 day 3 play rule (as speculation suggest), then again it will be worth it.
However in the end if MS feels that Universal is not following the line and are being too restrictive as then Bryan Lee said “We can do this to you”.
Give it time and let’s see how it plays out.
Bryan Lee article:
http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/arch..._the_zune.html

Last edited by rohitharsh; 01-18-2007 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: MS Word mark up

Old 01-18-2007, 09:06 PM
NPrtmn4evr
Ponderer

I really don't see what the big deal is. So Universal gets $1 from my Zune purchase because MS struck some sort of deal with them, big whoop. I don't pretend to really know all the politics behind this deal, or why it's such a "bad thing," but it doesn't really affect me so whatever. If the Zune gets more support because Universal gets a buck for every Zune sold, then who am I to complain?