Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 05-30-2004, 05:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Windows XP SP2 and Bluetooth - Not So Happy Together?

http://www.thepdaguy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=82

"A couple of weeks I ago I decided to install the Release Candidate of Windows XP SP2 on my main (and only at this stage) home PC. The installation was a breeze and it included an inbuilt Bluetooth stack. I thought that the integration of Bluetooth into the operating system would be a GOOD THING. Now I'm not so sure. The Bluetooth stack works. I can connect both Spike and Angelus to my PC and Activesync and Hotsync respectively. I can connect my cell phones and it seems quite reliable. However, what it doesn't have is support for networking..."

I was really hoping that SP2 would make Bluetooth as easy for Windows users to use as it is for Mac users, but it's sure not looking like that's the case. Yeah, yeah, I know for some of you Bluetooth works great. But for me, the differing implementations and confusing UI from different companies makes for a broken product experience. I want solid native support for Bluetooth in Windows XP, something that makes sense and works. Something with a a professionally developed user interface - something that I can actually understand.

Old 05-30-2004, 05:10 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

8O Maybe I won't install SP2 after all.

Old 05-30-2004, 05:11 AM
heliod
Intellectual

I have the same impression. Worse in my case, it doesn't seem to have support for Headsets, something that was basic in the Widcomm stack and very important for me for conducting Web conferencing.

A friend and me are testing a hack that will allow us to inhibit the Windows stack and install the Widcomm stack again. At the moment I have some news I will tell here.

Old 05-30-2004, 05:15 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliod
I have the same impression. Worse in my case, it doesn't seem to have support for Headsets, something that was basic in the Widcomm stack and very important for me for conducting Web conferencing.
Ok, that just blows me away. Headset use would be my #1 scenario if I had Bluetooth on this computer...what the hell is Microsoft thinking? Someone please tell me this is a mistake... :cry:

Old 05-30-2004, 05:41 AM
freitasm
Oracle

The only real good thing on Windows XP SP2 Bluetooth is that you have native support to a variety of certified hardware. So no more installation of customised drivers before using TDK, Belkin or some other brands.

However, as you noticed it's not fully functional. It does not support networking, headsets, and a couple of other important profiles.

The UI is very good, less confusing than the Widcomm, but it also offer way less.

The big problem is that once installed, it completely mix up everything. I had that installed on one desktop and had to reinstall Windows XP fresh after being unable to pair some devices - including my iPAQ. :?

Old 05-30-2004, 06:00 AM
Zack Mahdavi
Pontificator

I think the fact that Microsoft is providing Bluetooth support in SP2 is a BIG head start. This is a major leap in easing the headache of bluetooth connectivity on Windows. Sure, there will be features that won't be included, but Microsoft is good about adding features in future updates.

I'm just glad Microsoft has finally added Bluetooth support to the OS.. maybe now people will know how to use it..

Old 05-30-2004, 06:34 AM
kosmicki
Intellectual

This is RC1 of SP2 correct? Read something that said there will be an RC2 then a final. Perhaps it will get fixed then.

Old 05-30-2004, 09:03 AM
surur
Mystic

This is just crap! This is like the bluetooth stack on the XDA2, another microsoft stack with hardly any functionality at all. What a waste of time! The worst part is a manufacturer may now ship their dongle or built-in devices (e.g on a laptop) without a proper stack, choosing to rely on the completely inadequate Microsoft stack and save a few bucks.

and of course widdcomm et all will go out of business, just like winsock etc.

Why cant Microsoft sometimes make things better than the current standard, not always try and play catchup and do something thats just good enough, but not very good at all?

Surur :bad-words:

Old 05-30-2004, 10:15 AM
Kowalski
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski

Quote:
This is RC1 of SP2 correct? Read something that said there will be an RC2 then a final. Perhaps it will get fixed then.
i hope this is the case, the more friends having BT on their computer, the more freedom we have

Old 05-30-2004, 02:45 PM
Pixelnose
Ponderer

As a bluetooth Mac user, whenever I go over to my husband's pc to install something (darn developers not realizing that it's not only pc users who use pocketpc! 0X ), sometimes the bluetooth just decides, ok now I won't work. No one knows why, it can't be explained. But yeah, it's a real pain.