Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 05-28-2004, 07:39 AM
Falstaff
Thinker
Default 17" LCD - gaming, video, images - and CHEAP

I'm kind of trying the impossible here. I want an LCD that I can use for gaming, watching DVDs, edit digital photos (mostly for web design), and do my routine work with, that is relatively inexpensive. I normally use 1280x1024, so that is the resolution I am shooting for. I had been thinking about going to 1600x1200 with a 17" LCD, as I would have more screen space than my 17" CRT, but I don't think I'll find one in my budget with that resolution available. Anyway, I have searched around (actually I used froogle and found some good deals) and found several monitors. I also searched around for minimum specs for gaming, so below are the minimum specs I need:

- 17"
- .264 mm Dot Pitch
- 16 bit color (prefer 24 or 32, obviously)
- DVI (maybe VGA, if price/specs make it worth it)
- Good viewing angle (enough so that other people could look onto my screen)
- 450:1 contrast
- 16 ms total refresh time (maybe as high as 25ms, if I can't afford anything less)
- 250 cd/m^2 brightness
- No speakers (don't really care though, as I won't use them)

I'm about to become a poor college student :cry: so I need something affordable and something that will give me three inches of sapce on my dorm room desk. Here are some I've found so far:

-- NEC MultiSync 1760NX (hyperlink won't work: http://www.necmitsubishi.com/product...assification=1 ), found it for $450 on a Yahoo! Store, and found a very positive user review on a British shopping site.
-- BenQ FP757 V2, found that at a Yahoo store and another retailer for less than the NEC, but I have no eperience with BenQ products.
-- LG Electronics L1715SK, found this on a Yahoo store for a good price. This looks like a nice device and a great price.

If you have any comments on these or any other models, please share. Thanks for the help.