Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 05-04-2004, 12:00 AM
Pat Logsdon
Magi
Default BetaPlayer: New Pocket PC DivX and XviD Player

http://betaplayer.corecodec.org/

There's a new DivX player in town, and it looks like a winner! In addition to regular DivX playback, the program can handle DivX, XviD, OGG and OGM files, and even supports enhanced features such as B-Frames, FFmpeg, XviD and VGA. As if all of that wasn't enough, it's also capable of playing higher bitrate files than PocketMVP. 8O

There's a long thread over in the PocketMVP forums about this software. Be sure to check it out if you're interested in more in-depth details; the author is very active and responsive. I'll be installing and testing this as soon as I get home! From all that I've read, this thing is better than PocketMVP in almost all respects. Has anyone tried this already? What do you think?

Old 05-04-2004, 12:11 AM
dean_shan
Mystic

Nice. I love Xvid and King of the Hill.

Old 05-04-2004, 12:24 AM
entropy1980
Oracle

It is MUCH better than Pocket MVP.... better UI, better performance... did I mention it's better? :lol:

Old 05-04-2004, 12:46 AM
ctitanic
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy1980
It is MUCH better than Pocket MVP.... better UI, better performance... did I mention it's better? :lol:
did you read my mind?

the speed is great and the quality is great! :devilboy:

Old 05-04-2004, 12:52 AM
entropy1980
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctitanic
did you read my mind?
the speed is great and the quality is great! :devilboy:
LOL! I always used PocketMVP because it was the only Divx player and while it's functional never really was very exciting. I would equate BetaPlayer as the PocketTV of the Divx world, very polished especially for being such an early release!

Old 05-04-2004, 12:55 AM
Pat Logsdon
Magi

A few quick observations. I just happened to have a movie on my extra SD card, so I installed the program and tried it. I only watched about 10 seconds of the movie, but I'm already impressed. First of all, it ran with 6mb of program space available. I usually need close to 15mb for PocketMVP to run. I also really like the scroll bar - much better (and faster) than using either the scroll bar or "Jump To:" dialog box combination in PocketMVP.

So far, so good! 8)

Old 05-04-2004, 01:32 AM
Bill Gunn
Ponderer

Given the ease of encoding Windows Media and the fact that the player is in ROM, what is the advantage of using a different player?

Old 05-04-2004, 01:43 AM
ctitanic
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gunn
Given the ease of encoding Windows Media and the fact that the player is in ROM, what is the advantage of using a different player?
Quality!

Old 05-04-2004, 01:47 AM
g0097
Ponderer

Quote:
I asked the same question until I encoded a video using both windows media encoder and divx. The file size were roughly the same but the quality was crazy different! ( I have no idea what i just said)

To put it in more visual terms, in one part of the video there was sand and rocks. While the WMV file showed this as a grayish blob, I could actally make out the hard lines of the rock and the texture of the sand with the divx video. For me its a quality issue. I could get the same quality with WMV but I am not sure if I could get the files as small as I do with Divx.

Old 05-04-2004, 02:14 AM
Karma2002
Neophyte

This looks very interesting.

I'm very familar with DivX but new to Pocket PCs. What encoding settings would anyone recommend for a PPC? (I have a Dell Axim)

Thanks!