Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Competition

Old 04-30-2004, 11:15 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default More Market Share Numbers In - Microsoft Ties PalmOS in Shipments!

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103_2-5203062.html

This report seems to be coming from a slightly different angle than the one I posted on earlier today. "The first quarter of 2004 saw Microsoft heading for an all-out assault on PalmSource in the global market for handheld operating systems. PalmSource, the market leader, closed the quarter with a whopping 20.7 percent drop in market share, according to initial data released Friday by research firm Gartner. The drop comes as global handheld devices shipments slumped by 4.6 percent, according to research firm IDC. Gartner's report found that the market share held by Palm's operating system slipped to 40.7 percent, while the Windows CE market share grew by 5 percent to 40.2 percent. Microsoft licensees have been steadily chipping away at the Palm OS lead since 2000, when Microsoft accounted for 11 percent of the market for handhelds."

This report is focusing on the OS itself, breaking out that rather large "all other" category. "Microsoft's bundling of Outlook with Pocket PCs and its acceptance among enterprise application developers have also worked against Palm, Kort said." Blackberry saw a large surge too, garnering almost 15% of the OS market.

Old 04-30-2004, 11:35 PM
billbuckner
Ponderer

Nice pic. 8)

Old 05-01-2004, 12:03 AM
Zack Mahdavi
Pontificator

Dang, I can't believe PalmSource can loose that much market share in just one quarter. 21% is not a small number by far. It makes you wonder what happened and who's to blame.

Old 05-01-2004, 12:21 AM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbuckner
Nice pic. 8)
LOL my thoughts exactly. Good news for us. Not for palmthoughts.com or wait, there isn't one.(yet) - wo, just tried palmthoughts.com...it's registered. Does that mean you're thinking of starting a Palm Thoughts site??? Weird.

Old 05-01-2004, 01:18 AM
c38b2
Intellectual

No, the domain is registered to someone named Todd Friesen of Victoria, BC, CA.

Old 05-01-2004, 02:36 AM
oom
Pupil

Quote:
No, the domain is registered to someone named Todd Friesen of Victoria, BC, CA.
Where does he live?
Let's git 'im boys. :devilboy:

craig

Old 05-01-2004, 04:10 AM
mattp
Ponderer

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm happy as can be for WM, but you should have known that you'd strike a nerve with somebody by associating the OS with a specific NASCAR driver -- Jeff Gordon.

Let me see if I can sum this up in, oh, two words -- Gordon sucks!!

The palm OS is associated with some generic car and you can't see a number or sponsor. You stick Windows Mobile on the #8 car or another generic car and we're still friends.

The graphic is nice, I'll give you that. But, you should consult with NASCAR Thoughts in the future.

Old 05-01-2004, 02:51 PM
rugerx
Ponderer

Having used both a 4155 and a new tungsten, I cant imagine why anyone would use the PalmOS.... WM wins hands down IMO.

Old 05-01-2004, 04:11 PM
HTK
Intellectual

Quote:
Nice pic. 8)
The only problem is that it looks like palm was the first to reach the finish line

Old 05-01-2004, 05:29 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTK
Quote:
Nice pic. 8)
The only problem is that it looks like palm was the first to reach the finish line
Hey, Palm did beat Pocket PC by, oh.... 1/2%. :wink: :lol:

We sure are a long way from Palm owning 80% and Pocket PC hovering in the 10-11% range eh? :mrgreen: