Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 04-27-2004, 10:23 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default pocketnow.com Reviews Resco Explorer 2003 v.5.0

http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?...=reviews&id=375

"Let's face it - File Explorer that comes with the Pocket PC operating system stinks. One of the first things I install when I get a new Pocket PC is a good file explorer. In the past, I've used Citadel's Pocket Explorer. It's free and much better than File Explorer, but it has many deficiencies � it doesn't do file associations, there's no multiple selection, it doesn't do network browsing, and so on. I'd heard that Resco Explorer was an excellent file browser, but it costs $25. The big question is, is it worth it?"

This has to be the longest Pocket PC software review I've ever read - it's more like a top to bottom reverse engineering of the program. The bug list and wish list alone are longer than most reviews. 8O But, if you're looking to really get under the hood of Resco's Explorer 2003, this is the review you've been waiting for, no doubt about it. I use Resco Explorer 2003 myself, although I have to admit that it's overkill for most of what I do - which is why I only fire it up if I need the enhanced functionality it offers. Day to day, I still use File Explorer. What about you? What file explorer do you use?

Old 04-27-2004, 10:34 PM
SeanH
Theorist

Resco Explorer is one of those must have apps. This version looks better then ever. The only thing I did not notice in the review is does it support PPC 2K3 SE display modes. How does it look at 480x640 or 480x640? Does the 2003 ver support these modes now?

Sean

Old 04-27-2004, 10:38 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanH
Resco Explorer is one of those must have apps. This version looks better then ever. The only thing I did not notice in the review is does it support PPC 2K3 SE display modes. How does it look at 480x640 or 480x640? Does the 2003 ver support these modes now?
There are no SE devices on the market yet, and the SE SDK just went out a little while ago, so you won't see SE support just yet. But I think you can expect most of the major developers to be preparing SE apps now.

Old 04-27-2004, 10:57 PM
EricMCarson
Ponderer

Quote:
Resco Explorer is one of those must have apps.
I completely agree. This is one I can't live without, particularly since so many of my files are stored on network servers both at home and at the office. The ability to map the network like a folder allows nearly all of my programs to be able to see the larger a/v files & documents. On top of all this, I can actually use an explorer like the one I'm used to on my laptop. Kudos to Resco!

Old 04-27-2004, 11:02 PM
KAMware
Ponderer

Quote:
Does the 2003 ver support these modes now?
Yes it does. I use it on my Toshiba e805 and it is the only one to use. It fills up the entire screen!

Old 04-27-2004, 11:03 PM
rugerx
Ponderer

I agree must have app, the native file explorer in WM 2003 just stinks.
I was SO happy to find it came bundled on the HP set cd with my 4155 purchase!

Old 04-27-2004, 11:06 PM
lhauser
Pupil

I use Total Commander/CE from Ghisler $ Co. (www.ghisler.com). It's free and does just about everything...multiple selections (with it's own Control key emulator!), zips and unzips files, moves, copies, deletes, edits text files, sends and receive files over IR, creates shortcuts, even has a pulldown list for your favorite folders. I discovered it before I'd even heard of Resco and I've never had a reason to look back.

Old 04-27-2004, 11:33 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamware
Quote:
Does the 2003 ver support these modes now?
Yes it does. I use it on my Toshiba e805 and it is the only one to use. It fills up the entire screen!

Thanks for that kamware - it's good to know. So, I know how to manage my files when I (evenually) go VGA.

Old 04-27-2004, 11:34 PM
griph
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to griph
Default Re: pocketnow.com Reviews Resco Explorer 2003 v.5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
I use Resco Explorer 2003 myself, although I have to admit that it's overkill for most of what I do - which is why I only fire it up if I need the enhanced functionality it offers. Day to day, I still use File Explorer. What about you? What file explorer do you use?
No Way! Resco Explorer rocks - the built in explorer just isn't worth bothering with! Why cant Microsoft/PocketPC manufacturers just dump it and adopt Resco! And whilst we are on about it - Pocket Informant too! These apps are just as essential as Sprite Backup (aka iPaq Backup)!!!!!

Old 04-27-2004, 11:40 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Re: pocketnow.com Reviews Resco Explorer 2003 v.5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by griph
No Way! Resco Explorer rocks - the built in explorer just isn't worth bothering with!
90% of the time when I use File Explorer I'm moving a file by using copy/paste, deleting a file, or re-naming a file. For those tasks, File Explorer works perfectly, and it's got a simpler UI than Resco File Explorer, so it's faster for me. So for me, Resco File Explorer is a good tool to have installed for the 10% of the times when I need to do something complicated.

What types of things do you need to use Resco File Explorer for?