Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 06-16-2004, 07:30 PM
Anthony Caruana
Sage
Default I Want my PPC TV: CompactFlash TV Tuner

Product Category: CompactFlash TV Tuner
Manufacturer: Eops Technology
Where to Buy: Eops Technology
Price: $99.00 USD
System Requirements: Microsoft� Pocket PC 2002 Microsoft� Windows� MobileTM 2003 for Pocket PC. Compatibile with the following devices: HP� iPAQTM h2210, HP� iPAQTM h5100 / h5400 / h5500 series with CF expansion jacket, DELL� AXIMTM X5, Toshiba� e740, Toshiba� e800 / e805 (QVGA display), Mitac� Mio 558, ASUS� A620BT, Fujitsu� Pocket LOOX 600. NOT COMPATIBLE WITH HP� iPAQ h3800 / h3900 series
Specifications: 116g (4 oz) with 4 AA batteries 2.2 inches (56mm) width x 2.7 inches (68mm) length x 1.2 inch (30mm) thickness (dimensions outside standard CF Slot)

Pros:
  • Easy to use;
  • Lots of connectivity options to other AV devices.
Cons:
  • Very large;
  • Poor reception with built in antenna.
Summary:
The Eops Technology CompactFlash TV Tuner promises to let you watch TV while on the go with your Pocket PC. Now, I'm a bit of a skeptic; my portable TV at home doesn't get a decent picture without an external antenna so I wondering if Eops Technology are able to deliver on their promise.

Read on for the full review!

Let's Tune it In
The Eops TV Tuner is an easy piece of hardware to get going. Just load the driver (less than 700K) and voila! There's no application to start up. All you need to do is plug the card into a CF slot and the software automatically launches.

Figure 1: The software starts up automatically when the Eops CF card is inserted.

All you then need to do is tap one of the channel tuner buttons (the ones that look like a "<" or ">") to find a station. While writing this review Eops updated the driver software so that you can now bookmark stations so that you no longer needs to rescan the entire spectrum whenever you plug the card in.

Using the Card
There's not much to using this card. In my experience this seems to be easier to get going than its desktop PC counterparts. The user interface is quite spartan with only a handful of buttons. You can toggle between different video inputs and full-screen landscape mode.

Figure 2: Go Ricki! Full screen mode takes advantage of the entire Pocket PC screen.

There's also a Quality toggle that can improve the picture quality. However, I found that this degraded performance leading to slower screen refreshes.

Range and Reception
Given that the Eops is designed to be a portable TV solution for Pocket PC users you'd expect that it would have reasonable reception. Sadly, that was not my experience. I used the Eops in a couple of different suburbs in Melbourne and could not get any picture when using it indoors. Outdoors the story was better, but the tiny, in-built antenna is just too small. Fully extended it is only a few inches long.

Ins and Outs
The Eops TV Tuner doesn't just let you watch television. You can easily connect your VCR or DVD player using the supplied cables.

Figure 3: Connecting other AV devices and an external aerial is easy.

The RF connector makes it easy to link to an external antenna using the supplied 3.5 mm to Coaxial adapter. However, why you'd want to do that is a little beyond me as it seriously undermines the device's portability.

Figures 4 and 5: Given the plethora of connecting cables there's almost no AV device that Eops TV Tunber can't accomodate.

In order to listen to the audio for your TV show, you'll need to connect a set of headphones directly to the Eops. With its own earphone socket and
volume control, complete with mute, this is a simple affair. I found that the sound quality was "good enough". The Eops ships with a set of headphones but they're low quality. While I'm no great audiophile I went straight to my own headphones.

Figure 6: The Eops doesn't make use of your Pocket PC's inbuilt audio.

Power
The Eops looks to me that it could be a real power guzzler. The upside is that the Eops runs off its own steam. The main reason the Eops is so large and heavy is that it needs four AA batteries. This is the largest contributing factor to the size of the Eops.

Figure 7: A full tank lasts about 3 hours but battery life will depend on what batteries you choose.

Conclusions
The Eops CompactFlash TV Tuner promises a great deal but doesn't quite deliver. While the software is reasonable the hardware's poor range and reception prevent it from being a really great Pocket PC accessory.

Old 06-16-2004, 07:35 PM
GoldKey
Pontificator

Is their a driver for the PC? Might be nice for traveling with a laptop.

Old 06-16-2004, 08:06 PM
dean_shan
Mystic

I could see using this for playing Nintendo on the go. I like how it has video imputs.

Old 06-16-2004, 08:17 PM
manywhere
Theorist
Send a message via MSN to manywhere

The main problem is that the antenna is less than optimal for recieving TV broadcasts in the UHF and VHF ranges.
I tried using a similar antenna with a Nokia Mediamaster 120T (DVB-T box) and the reception indoors was really poor! :| However, as soon as I put the antenna out of the window, the signal improved oh-so-much! The reception wasn't error-free (too many trees here -- I need to buy a chainsaw... :lol: ) but you got much more than using the analog signal.

The hare-antenna (take the above antenna times two) is already better, but not optimal still for some frequencies. :roll:

Old 06-16-2004, 08:21 PM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

Uh, the thing is enormous! The only time I would use it to watch t.v. is during the working hours, and there is nothing but junk on during that time. No thanks...

Old 06-16-2004, 08:22 PM
GoldKey
Pontificator

You might be able to unscrew the antenna and go get a larger replacement from radio shack.

Old 06-16-2004, 08:22 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

I would really like to have one of these. Mostly for the novelty factor. Hardware and software looks a little low budget still. Kinda pricey too. Still want one though.

Old 06-16-2004, 08:58 PM
William
Ponderer
Default Re: I Want my PPC TV: CompactFlash TV Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Caruana
NOT COMPATIBLE WITH HP� iPAQ h3800 / h3900 series
Does that include 3800 and 3900 iPAQs with a CF sleeve? If so, why?

Old 06-16-2004, 09:07 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor
Default Re: I Want my PPC TV: CompactFlash TV Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by William
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Caruana
NOT COMPATIBLE WITH HP� iPAQ h3800 / h3900 series
Does that include 3800 and 3900 iPAQs with a CF sleeve? If so, why?
I was actually looking at this a few days ago. There is and explination on their site, something about the CF sleeve interface being slighly different on the 3800 and 3900 ipaqs, which doesn't suprise me. The video really gets degraded for some reason.

Edit:

I found it in their FAQ.

Quote:
Please could you explain why it is not compatible with IPAQ 3800 / 3900 but compatible with newer handhelds?

While we try to make our CF TV card compatible with as many of the current range of Pocket PCs as possible, therein does lie some difficulty that prevents us from being 'universally' compatible. The IPAQ 3800 and 3900, popular models indeed, are the ones that we cannot overcome technically. The reason is that the high speed digitized video signal from our TV CF Card becomes unstable while passing through the interface of the IPAQ 3800 and 3900.

Old 06-16-2004, 09:08 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_shan
I could see using this for playing Nintendo on the go. I like how it has video imputs.
If that's your goal....http://www.lifeview.com.tw/html/prod...grabber_cf.htm