Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 04-24-2004, 05:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Museums With Pocket PCs? Field Trip!

http://www.flicksoftware.com/mig.html

"Why not �loan� a PDA to your museum visitors as a way to attract new revenues and appeal to new and existing museum-goers alike! Let a handheld device enhance the museum experience by guiding, informing, educating and entertaining the whole time through. The MIG (Mobile Interactive Guide), developed by Flick Software and its partners, embodies a rugged hardware device coupled with the software required to make this a powerful new force in the museum vertical.

Imagine the MIG leading folks to items of interest; expanding on various exhibits by running related multi-media audio and video clips; having pop-ups at appropriate times indicating show start-times or even cafeteria specials; absorbing people of all ages in entertaining contests and games. Let Flick Software pull together the necessary resources to add an exciting new dimension to the museum experience."

Old 04-24-2004, 05:56 AM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

I think the Seattle "Experience Music" museum uses ipaqs...

http://www.emplive.com/index.asp

Old 04-24-2004, 06:02 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

I hope the Glenbow impliments this before the beginning of next month.

Old 04-24-2004, 06:33 AM
Wiggster
Philosopher
Send a message via AIM to Wiggster Send a message via MSN to Wiggster
Default Re: Museums With Pocket PCs? Field Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
having pop-ups at appropriate times indicating show start-times or even cafeteria specials;
Soon, not even our museums will be free from computer popups... :twisted:

Old 04-24-2004, 08:47 AM
Zack Mahdavi
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kati Compton
I think the Seattle "Experience Music" museum uses ipaqs...

http://www.emplive.com/index.asp
Been there... the setup is very cool. The Pocket PCs are built into this purse style device that you can carry around with you. Everytime you visit an exhibit, the Pocket PC plays audio for you. Very interactive and very cool.

Old 04-24-2004, 08:48 AM
bjornkeizers
Sage

I saw an article in a dutch newspaper yesterday - a local museum will be using wifi enabled Ipaqs as well! 8O

Pretty cool if you ask me. You walk through the museum with your ipaq and when you see a painting you like, pull up the info on the Ipaq and maybe even order a print or an object by the same artist... Way cool.

Old 04-24-2004, 12:51 PM
quidproquo
Intellectual

This is a lot more high tech than the "Acousti-Guide" that I listened to when I went to see the Ramses Exhibit at a museum a few years back.

That was just a tape recorder with pause, play and rewind. It was Charlton Heston narrating though!

This would be really cool...as long as the technical hang ups were eliminated. Can you see a visitor trying to get through a soft reset and start a program over again!?

Old 04-24-2004, 01:16 PM
Ryan Joseph
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quidproquo
This is a lot more high tech than the "Acousti-Guide" that I listened to...
I remember the Acousti-Guide! I used one at a dinosour exhibit once...many years ago. It was cool back then.

Then there are the museums that have the cell-phone-like things where an exhibit will be numbered and you dial that number to hear an explanation of the exhibit.

But this sounds WAY cooler! I want to go to some of these museums just to try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quidproquo
Can you see a visitor trying to get through a soft reset and start a program over again!?
Now there's an entertaining throught. :mrgreen:

Old 04-24-2004, 04:50 PM
dazz
Theorist

Wow! This is cool stuff. I can see this taking off in a number of areas.

Hey, how about a rugged PPC that you rent at Disney Land (or Wonderland here in Ontario, Canada ) that has a map (with GPS of course) and info on all the different attractions and shows.

Cool! 8)

Darren

Old 04-24-2004, 04:57 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

Great, now in addition to being dragged to the art museum by the mother/girlfriend (I like art just as much as the next guy, but it takes me about 1 min. of looking at a painting to appreciate it - no more, so an art museum is a quick experience for me, as are zoos), I get to have an IPAQ that spams me telling me about the cafeteria specials...

Of course, I could probably reset it and use it to get internet if its wifi and the museum is a bit lax on security...