Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Customizations & Content

Old 04-19-2004, 07:30 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default IVP New Testament Commentary For Pocket Bible

http://www.laridiansales.com/order/productpages/LBKIVPNTS01.asp?order_platform=ce&ring=apwzwtzws

Laridian has just released their largest commentary for Pocket Bible yet, the IVP New Testament Commentary Series. It is a 20 volume set. Currently, only 15 have been compiled for Pocket Bible but the other 5 are forthcoming.

If you want to take a look at exactly what is in this commentary, visit the Bible Gateway Commentary page. They have 16 of the volumes online. Normally, the books are in the $18-20 range or $333 for the entire collection if you were to get the paper versions. Laridian has them for $8.99-$9.99 each or $129.99 for all of them. The remaining 5 are included in that price, so that works out to $6.50 each!

Pocket Bible is sold separately at the Laridian site and you'll need at least one translation for it to work properly. They have translations ranging from free to $29.95. I estimate by the time you get all 20 volumes, it will require roughly 7.5MB of storage space. To put that in perspective, the Bible Knowledge Commentary is 7.2MB and covers the entire Bible. The IVP will really be an in depth comprehensive study of the New Testament. (Affiliate links)

Old 04-19-2004, 08:21 PM
quidproquo
Intellectual

Pocket Bible is a great program. I use it in church all the time. (a great chance to show off the PPC)

For those who get involved in commentaries/the Bible, etc., this is a great deal. The search/lookup features on Pocket Bible are pretty fast. The interface is nice and you can look at two different books at one time.... i.e. the NIV on top and the KJV on bottom or this new commentary.

Wouldn't cost too much to try one out at that price!

Old 04-19-2004, 09:54 PM
DarrenS
Pupil
Send a message via Yahoo to DarrenS

I like Pocket Bible as well. I only wish it had a note taking interface. I used to use CE Bible and loved it note taking ability. I have tried to flip between Pocket Bible and Word, but it just does not work well. Also, CE Bible understood reference 'shortcuts'. I could double-tap a 'shortcut' and it would take me to the verse.

I wonder what became of CE Bible?

Old 04-19-2004, 09:55 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

I'd like to know when Laridian are going to support VGA mode. A tab to switch between different books, verse selection like Olive Tree Bible reader (When you click on a book it only shows the actual chapters available, rather than a number pad) and the ability to have three books open at once would all be good to have, while they are updating the software.

Old 04-19-2004, 10:52 PM
fishfuzz
Pupil

But Pocket e-Sword is free.

Old 04-19-2004, 10:54 PM
wigglesworth
Ponderer

Quote:
I wonder what became of CE Bible?
They can be found at http://www.slsoftware.com/

It to is a great program, I have enjoyed using both CeBible and Lardian's program as well.

Quote:
I have tried to flip between Pocket Bible and Word, but it just does not work well
I use pocket word to take my notes all the time. Every Sunday morning I re-map two task buttons on my Jornada 568, one for my Bible program of choice and the other to pocket word, I then switch to landscape mode using Nyditot Virtual Display from http://www.nyditot.com/

Old 04-19-2004, 11:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfuzz
But Pocket e-Sword is free.
Pocket e-Sword has the IVP Commentaries for free?

Old 04-19-2004, 11:43 PM
jensenjb
Pupil

These commentaries certainly look impressive from an English 101 perspective (length!)

Has anyone spent quality time reading through any of these that could provide insight to the insightfulness and accuracy?

Thanks for letting us know about these Ed.

Brad

Old 04-20-2004, 12:21 AM
T-Will
Sage

Yeah adding tabs to PocketBible sounds like a great idea, and there is a notes feature in PocketBible, but I think it's a little unintuitive, so I never really use it.

I'm really hoping they're working on compiling the NIV Study Bible notes for PocketBible, I'll pick that up in a heartbeat.

Old 04-20-2004, 02:18 AM
Aerestis
Theorist

Not to sound like a goof, but I didn't realize people actually used these. Well, I guess it just proves the super usefulness of handheld computers from yet another angle.