Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 04-13-2004, 06:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default SD Driver Patch For iPAQ 2215

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/download/20674.html

In the iPAQ 5500 ROM update thread some were happy that an issue with apps and books/documents stored on the SD card that would previously be unavailable at power-up had been fixed. Those of us with the 2200 though know that our 1.10 ROM did not fix that issue. Seems HP knows it too. They have released a RAM patch for this problem. It works on all iPAQ 2200 devices with ROM 1.0 or 1.10. From the ReadMe included in the download:

� This update limits the power consumption an SDIO card or peripheral can draw during standby or sleep mode.
� Fixes SD Card initialization issue.

I installed it and it seems to work. I didn't do a before and after snapshot of my RAM ops: but the two main files are under 50K each, so it seems the 1MB required for installation is just for the .CAB, which is removed after the install. Continue reading for additional information.

The file included in this SoftPaq contains the improvements described above. This is a RAM patch update. Once installed, the device will store the changes in the RAM.
1. Be sure to back up all of the data on the Pocket PC before beginning the installation process.
2. Ensure that the device has a minimum of 1.0 MB of free system RAM. 3. It is important to keep the device connected to your power adapter during the installation process.

Updating your Pocket PC while connected to a desktop computer
1. Ensure the device is docked and connected to a desktop computer that has Microsoft� ActiveSync� v3.7 or later installed and running.
2. Apply A/C power to the iPAQ Pocket PC.
3. Launch the SoftPaq update.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions and dialog boxes.

WARNING I've never seen these warnings for RAM updates, only XIP updates. 8O
� Do not enable the device password feature during the update process.
� Do not attempt to turn off or restart the device while the update is in progress.
� Do not enable �Show information when device is turned on� feature during the update process. To disable, simply click �Owner� on the today screen and uncheck the box at the bottom of the page, then click the �Notes� tab at the bottom of the page and uncheck �Show information when device is turned on� located at the bottom of the page.

Old 04-13-2004, 07:10 PM
rpommier
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to rpommier

Might this be the reason I'm noicing faster battery drains on my 2210? If so I'll try it, I usually don't do the updates that reside in RAM.

Old 04-13-2004, 07:42 PM
ctitanic
Oracle

yeap, hp is claiming back the RAM that you got from the latest ROM update

Old 04-13-2004, 08:17 PM
reddeerguy
Pupil
Default Maybe I won't switch to Palm after all . . .

Hmmm : "Fixes SD Card initialization issue."

Maybe this is why my 512mb lexar SD card is, most annoyingly, not recognized at all from time to time. IE - the machine doesn't even think a card is in the slot. I almost sent my ipaq paq'ng as this is the second card I've gone through in 6 months (my last one was a 256mb Sandisk so I assumed it was a notorious Sandisk quality issue..). Anyway - I've found that if I take my SD card to future shop and put it in and out of various PALM devices, then when I put it back in my 2210 it works fine (it doesn't work if I put it in and out of other PPC devices). Go figure . . . . Anyway - hopefully this fix will help!! Anyone heard of this problem before?

Old 04-13-2004, 08:51 PM
Robb Bates
Thinker

Has anyone mysteriously lost all data on an SD card? I did a while back and I figured I accidentally deleted the "My Documents" folder. Maybe it was caused by the problem that this update fixes.

Robb

Old 04-13-2004, 08:52 PM
happety
Neophyte

When I have an app running from my SD Card, then turn my PPC off, then back on, I often get a card initialization error, but I thought that was normal since the card is not being supplied power at that point.

All of my startup apps are in the IPAQ file store for this reason. Other than that, I've never had an initialization error...

Old 04-13-2004, 09:10 PM
ctitanic
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Bates
Has anyone mysteriously lost all data on an SD card? I did a while back and I figured I accidentally deleted the "My Documents" folder. Maybe it was caused by the problem that this update fixes.

Robb
I got an email from an users reporting almost the samething but he did not give me many details about how it happens, he thought that was a bug in one of my programs and the only thing that the program did was to change the location of some temp files in the registry. After that the OS should create a folder in his SD card, in that moment he said that he lost all the information in his SD Card. Evidently the OS replaced the whole FAT.

Old 04-13-2004, 09:18 PM
SuperPaqMan
Neophyte
Send a message via AIM to SuperPaqMan Send a message via Yahoo to SuperPaqMan

After a soft reset any program that was in my programs list would show a "ghost" icon if it was in my startup folder. If I attempted to click it, windows would say that it could not find the program. Programs like Wisbar would not initialize after a soft reset. This seems to be fixed now after the update. Its about darn time...

Old 04-13-2004, 09:21 PM
ctitanic
Oracle

Into, this driver just take around 76 kb of RAM and it replace two dlls.

Old 04-13-2004, 09:22 PM
Robb Bates
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctitanic
Evidently the OS replaced the whole FAT.
It will do that? Hmmm, maybe that's what happened to mine. Are you saying the OS will look for a properly formatted card and if it doesn't like how it's formatted, it will reformat it?

I had formatted my 512MB SanDisk SD card with FAT32.

On a side note, be careful when you put your SD cards into some camcorders with built in SD slots. They like to reformat your card too.

Robb