Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 04-05-2004, 10:15 PM
Pat Logsdon
Magi
Default Control a Robot Dinosaur with your Pocket PC!

http://www.dottocomu.com/b/archives/001250.html

Click for hi-res photo!

I don't know about you, but I was thinking to myself just last week, "Self, why are there no robot dinosaurs that I can control with my Pocket PC?" Sensing the desperate need in the market for such a product, Sanyo has updated their "Banryu" guard robot with just this functionality! As an added bonus, it can tell you what the stars fortell as well! I can see it now: "Gemini - Your cat will be menaced by a robot today". :mrgreen:

Dottocomu reports that "the latest version is an independent Sanyo project, with modifications including switching from Windows to a proprietary realtime OS and revamping the beast's legs, in cooperation with Waseda University, to get it walking less like an old man. The new version also adopts a more diplodocus-like form and takes a step away from the original crime prevention concept, offering crowd-pleasing features like better speech recognition and the ability to give quizzes and forecast horoscopes.

Weighing 36 kg and measuring 68 x 80 x 94 cm, the latest Banryu can handle steps up to 10 cm in height, and features a variety of sound, object and temperature sensors. It can also be controlled, like everything else recently, via an NTT DoCoMo FOMA phone or using a wireless LAN-equipped PDA." There's no word yet on when Pocket PC drivers will be available.

Alas, you can't buy one of these neo-Jurassic beauties: "The latest Banryu will apparently be available to rent in Japan from April 9. One day's rental is Y239,400." That's roughly $2,300 for one day. 8O

Old 04-05-2004, 10:17 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

Sure, why not - I was going to rent a movie at Blockbuster, but this sounds like more fun. Only a few bucks different.

Old 04-05-2004, 10:36 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Does the blue one do Bluetooth?

Old 04-05-2004, 10:41 PM
R K
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to R K Send a message via AIM to R K

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnoB
Sure, why not - I was going to rent a movie at Blockbuster, but this sounds like more fun. Only a few bucks different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmagnus
Does the blue one do Bluetooth?
Heh, I like a community with a sense of humor.

Old 04-05-2004, 10:46 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic
Default Re: Control a Robot Dinosaur with your Pocket PC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Logsdon
There's no word yet on when Pocket PC drivers will be available.
Then why is the title of this news item Control a Robot Dinosaur with your Pocket PC!? Kinda deceiving. :|

Old 04-05-2004, 10:51 PM
quidproquo
Intellectual

For that price who is controling who!? Looks more like they control your wallet! (if you rent one of these things!) :wink:

Old 04-05-2004, 11:11 PM
Pat Logsdon
Magi
Default Re: Control a Robot Dinosaur with your Pocket PC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUKid7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Logsdon
There's no word yet on when Pocket PC drivers will be available.
Then why is the title of this news item Control a Robot Dinosaur with your Pocket PC!? Kinda deceiving. :|
I didn't mean for it to be deceiving - the quote from Sanyo's press release says "wireless LAN-equipped PDA" - it's just a matter of writing drivers. I hope this doesn't stop you from renting one the next time you're in Japan. :wink:

Old 04-05-2004, 11:53 PM
jngold_me
Thinker

I'd rather get an Aibo - cheaper and at least it would be mine! :mrgreen:

Old 04-06-2004, 12:51 AM
JoshB
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to JoshB Send a message via MSN to JoshB Send a message via Yahoo to JoshB

That thing is huge! From the photo, I was thinking it would be a little toy, maybe 6 to 8 inches.

36Kg? It would be more like ""Gemini - Your cat will be menaced^H^H^H^H^H^H^H crushed to death by a robot today".

Old 04-06-2004, 07:02 AM
Zack Mahdavi
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quidproquo
For that price who is controling who!? Looks more like they control your wallet! (if you rent one of these things!) :wink:
Hehehe.. yeah... I agree.. better pay the $20 for SPB Finance if you buy one of these!