Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 04-03-2004, 06:00 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default NEC � 30 Second Battery Charge Fast Enough for You?

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/102/C2691/

Every have those days when you need to get out in a hurry, but then realise that your PPC is at 10% power and your digital camera batteries are so low that the low power LED warning won�t even blink? Well then, this is for you. Mobilemag report that �NEC has developed a battery that is capable of being fully recharged in only 30 seconds. The organic radical battery can be charged to a similar level of power as nickel-hydrogen cells for portable MD players, digital cameras and other electronic devices.� They reckon the price should not be too much higher either, which is nice.

�NEC will first roll out the battery as a commercial computer emergency power source, later we will see hybrid gasoline/electric motors for cars, cell phones and just about anything else you would use a battery with.� So there you go then - everything else you would use a battery with. Fancy that! :wink:

Recharging in 30 seconds is quite a feat, but I wish they would make a breakthrough in the power to weight ratio first. :? Moore's law holds true for many things in IT, but battery power potential is not one of them. We�ve only really got fuel cells to look forward to and even then, it�s not clear just what increase we can expect from them. Oh well, this is progress of sorts I suppose. So � would a 30 second recharge time make much difference in your lives? :?:

Old 04-03-2004, 06:47 PM
bjornkeizers
Sage

Cool. Being the geek that I am, I have a ton of devices that need charging at just the wrong moment: cellphone dead, Ipaq only 30% charge left, laptop battery dead as a doorknob, MP3 player fresh out of juice... we've all been there.

I would definitely use this, provided it doesn't fry the battery after a dozen times 8O

Old 04-03-2004, 07:22 PM
Howard2k
Ponderer

That would be Moore's law. Not Moor's law Great potential though.

Old 04-03-2004, 07:35 PM
luiskim
Intellectual

that would change the world... i whish they are gonna come out for sure though...

Old 04-03-2004, 10:08 PM
surur
Mystic

This is brilliant news. This opens up the scope for public recharging stations, where you want have to wait 30 minutes for your device to recharge. Its also a shoe-in for electric cars, especially if it really does not contain expensive parts. It will not take longer to fill up the battery than fill up the tank.

I hope this comes to the market soon.

Surur

Old 04-03-2004, 10:18 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard2k
That would be Moore's law. Not Moor's law Great potential though.
Fair point, easily sorted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisKim
that would change the world....
In what way do you reckon LuisKim?

Old 04-04-2004, 01:03 AM
Tom W.M.
Theorist

Very interesting. It's good that we are finally seeing some progress in battery technology�things have been pretty much stagnant for too long.

Old 04-04-2004, 01:40 AM
Julio
Pupil

Yes! This is definitely useful! I travel a lot, and so many times, I find myself with only a few minutes between flights and a PPC battery down to the last 10% (or below!). Being able to quickly juice-up the PPC would be a god-send.

Julio

Old 04-04-2004, 02:48 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Nifty!

Slightly ot: anyone else find that when recharging their Pocket PC (iPaq 5550, specifically) that it usually takes around the same amount of time to get from around 70% (what mine dips to with my level of overnight usage) to around 97% as it does to get from 97% to 100%?

Old 04-04-2004, 03:37 AM
chris234
Pupil

So, assuming a 1000mAh battery (probably reasonable for many PDA-ish devices), that's a charge current of 120 amps. Wow.....