Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 04-02-2004, 11:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Shuttle ST62K Reviewed

http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com...ion=expand,4956

"The Shuttle ST62K is a small, quiet box designed for the non-gamer who wants a workstation with everything built-in, or a media PC for integration with a home theatre system. The lack of Serial ATA hard drive support, AGP video support, and a front Firewire port limit the usefulness of this device in some scenarios, but if you�re looking for a near-silent computer with decently performing integrated graphics, the ST62K doesn�t disappoint."

I've published a review of the Shuttle ST62K, a small and nearly silent computer that I think many of you will be interested in reading. Check it out!

Old 04-02-2004, 11:13 PM
guinness
Intellectual

It would be good for someone like my mom, who would rather have something small and quiet (she uses a laptop now), but bad for me, I'm more of a power user, and I would miss having 3 CD drives for one thing or the AGP slot.

Old 04-02-2004, 11:27 PM
claud9999
Pupil
Default Ugh, no DVI?

The chipset supports DVI, why oh why couldn't they have put in a DVI-I port instead of VGA? (And a simple adapter provides a 15-pin VGA connector, viola!) Probably only takes another couple of mm for the connector, too.

(All of my displays are DVI-D, foo to VGA.)

Old 04-02-2004, 11:30 PM
jake080
Intellectual

hehe, same here. Allthough these mini chassis are really nice looking :werenotworthy:

Old 04-02-2004, 11:33 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Very decent review Jason! Shame it did work out for you as your machine of choice. :?

I too would very much like to see that near silent power supply in some newer shuttles.

Old 04-03-2004, 12:59 AM
Falstaff
Thinker

In case anyone is interested in shuttles, there are 4 really cool looking ones on ThinkGeek. I could never use one of these as my main PC, maybe as an office machine for simple work stuff. A shuttle and an LCD would be great for a workspace with limited space, or for minimalists.

Old 04-03-2004, 03:42 AM
jutae
Intellectual

I will be a proud owner of an Abit DigiDice next week. This shuttle is cool too but I have an ATI 9800 Pro so I need an AGP slot...... There others are cool too.

Old 04-03-2004, 07:31 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutae
I will be a proud owner of an Abit DigiDice next week. This shuttle is cool too but I have an ATI 9800 Pro so I need an AGP slot...... There others are cool too.
That looks like a great system! The scented oil is very cool too! :-D

Old 04-03-2004, 08:25 PM
jutae
Intellectual

the price for performance....

Old 04-04-2004, 05:34 AM
cpoole
Ponderer

This is a slightly different tangent - I have looked at the BlueGear PC at Office Depot - I am not sure about how quiet it is - but the entire computer is mounted inside the flat LCD monitor!

http://www.officedepot.ca/ddSKU.do?l...V_17_SK_881380