Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 04-02-2004, 08:05 PM
Pat Logsdon
Magi
Default Dell Working on a VGA Axim?

http://brighthand.com/article/Rumor...g_VGA_Pocket_PC

According to Brighthand's RumorMill, "Intel is close to releasing the Marathon graphics co-processor, a 3D multimedia accelerator for the XScale line. This will allow devices with very high-resolution screens to render just under one million polygons per second, plus play video in MPEG-2, MPEG-4, and Windows Media formats.

Intel did a demonstration of this graphics chip at the CES tradeshow, where a company spoksperson announced that Dell would be using Marathon in an Axim model to be released during the second half of this year. A video of this announcement can be found on Intel's web site.

Marathon was created for 640-by-480-pixel displays and up. If it is going to be in a future Axim model, then that model will have a VGA screen."

While existing Axim owners are still wondering if they'll be allowed to have WM2003 SE, Dell is apparently working on a device that will take advantage of a feature of the new OS - a VGA screen. The arguments that Brighthand makes are certainly compelling, and I'm inclined to believe that Dell is indeed tinkering with this.

Dell's modus operandi seems to be to jump on the bandwagon as a market reaches maturity. If that's the case, I imagine that HP is hard at work on this as well.

Personally, I think a VGA screen is just the thing to revitalize Dell's lineup. What do you think? Would a VGA screen make you consider Dell for your next PPC?

Old 04-02-2004, 08:23 PM
James Fee
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to James Fee Send a message via MSN to James Fee Send a message via Yahoo to James Fee Send a message via Skype™ to James Fee

This is an aprils fools joke if I ever saw one.

Old 04-02-2004, 08:37 PM
drop
Thinker

Is it so far fetch that Dell would be working on a VGA Axim? I don't think so. It is a logical next step for Dell.

But if Dell provides new products at the expense of servicing existing customers, then I am not sure my next device will still be a Dell.

Old 04-02-2004, 08:42 PM
Jacob
Pontificator

I wouldn't doubt it if all manufacturers are working on VGA models.

James Fee
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to James Fee Send a message via MSN to James Fee Send a message via Yahoo to James Fee Send a message via Skype™ to James Fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop
Is it so far fetch that Dell would be working on a VGA Axim? I don't think so. It is a logical next step for Dell.

But if Dell provides new products at the expense of servicing existing customers, then I am not sure my next device will still be a Dell.
Well that sounds upbeat, but I'm not as sure as you are. My next PDA will be an iPAQ. I can't wait 3 years for Dell to release another PDA.

The Yaz
Thinker

I think the real question is this:

Will Dell's pda customer base be more apt to buy the next Dell PocketPC if they are not offered a way to upgrade to 2003SE?

I'm sure someone in marketing figured the allure of VGA would compel some users to make a new purchase, especially if it is true that a new model is in the offering before Christmas 2004.

What concerns me is that pda vendors do not realize that the life cycle for a pda of an average user may be closer to 2-3yrs, not every 12 months. If you try to push these users into new products, they will not budge, and at worst, avoid your product entirely (cough - Toshiba - cough).

I think a more proactive scheme for vendors would be to do whatever they can to extend the life of any of their products (offer rom updates, peripheral drivers as they become needed, etc.) at reasonable prices and market new models with a compare/contrast format. i.e. "The new HP 6000 offers you all of the advantages of the HP 41xx series, but also gives you ..."

That way, you can appease your whole customer base. I would spend up to $100 over the life of my PocketPC if I can have 2-3yrs of service from it. Then when I look at spending $300-400 on a new one, the total cost of ownership seems more reasonable.

Steve 8)

Old 04-02-2004, 08:43 PM
Howard2k
Ponderer

Highly unlikely... I've been burned too many times by Dell Canada. Bad service with a VGA screen is still bad service.

Old 04-02-2004, 08:47 PM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

Bluetooth+WiFi+VGA=Me buying another axim.

I love my X5, and am waiting for just the right unit to replace it...

Old 04-02-2004, 08:48 PM
dmy
Intellectual

April's fools joke or no....

Bluetooth is indespensible... if it ain't got bluetooth, I'm not buying it.... be it a laptop, phone, or PDA. Dell said it isn't going to have Bluetooth (just as it's finally gaining tread here in the U.S.) so as I said in another thread, "Dude, I ain't getting a Dell!"

And before anyone tells me that Bluetooth isn't useful....

When I walk into my house, my Cell phone and PDA are detected by my desktop, automatically sync'ed with each other and the desktop, and the cell transfers all calls to my desk phone. I don't even see it happen.... it just does.

When I walk into my remote office (I mostly work out of my home office, but occasionally go to my Client's office), it does the same thing, only forwards to my desk phone there and syncs with my laptop (if it's on).

When I leave either location, my Cell-phone un-forwards automatically.

When I get into my car, it realizes it's got access to the hands-free kit. If I turn on my headset and activate it, the headset overrides it.

Always blows people away when I'm in the car and we need to call someone and I tell my PDA to look up a contact, and to dial it on the phone..... everything connects and disconnects just the way it should and a couple of moments later the phone is ringing on the hands free kit. then they suddenly realize that the PDA and the cell phone are in my briefcase in the trunk of the car.

Cheers,
D.

Old 04-02-2004, 08:52 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

I hope it's more stylish than the current bland designs. :?