Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-27-2004, 05:00 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default ActiveSync 3.7.1 Build 4034 Available

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&displaylang=en

Microsoft quietly uploaded a newer build of ActiveSync 3.7.1 this week (the previous public build was 3244). I made some inquiries, and was able to find out the list of bugfixes.
  • Exploring connected device from desktop doesn't show contents in explorer window - this provides better user experience when exploring the device from the desktop.
  • RAPI Crash - this was a fix to eliminate the top reported bug since 3.7.1 shipped.
  • 3rd party applications Initializing RAPI Failures - RAPI changes in 3.7.1 had affected some 3rd party applications ability to initialize RAPI. This is now fixed.
  • Icon for Connection manager may be confusing to end users in the ICF popup dialog box - If Internet Connection Firewall is on, this will pop up a warning dialog box when users dock their devices for the first time. Minor UI changes to make this pop-up more friendly and distinguishable.
For the most part, it's a minor upgrade, but it fixes a few niggling issues that came up during the 3.7 => 3.7.1 update.

Old 03-27-2004, 05:13 AM
felixdd
Philosopher
Send a message via ICQ to felixdd Send a message via AIM to felixdd Send a message via MSN to felixdd Send a message via Yahoo to felixdd

I thought that explorer problem was only me. Glad there was a fix to it.

Old 03-27-2004, 07:18 AM
arebelspy
Theorist
Send a message via AIM to arebelspy

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixdd
I thought that explorer problem was only me. Glad there was a fix to it.
Ditto.

-arebelspy

Old 03-27-2004, 11:26 AM
quidproquo
Intellectual

Good deal.....
These items may have seemed like "minor" issues, but I switched from 3.7.1 BACK to 3.7 because the connection bugs were so bad with 3.7.1! :evil:

Glad to see a fix in place finally.

Old 03-27-2004, 02:04 PM
Bearjaw
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to Bearjaw

Whats the Explorer issue?

Old 03-27-2004, 02:29 PM
Trokair
Pupil

You'd double click on "Mobile Device" in My Computer, and nothing would show up in the Explorer window. No files or folders; in essence, you couldn't browse your Pocket PC from the desktop.

I'm glad they fixed it.

-Kyle

Old 03-27-2004, 03:06 PM
PeterLake
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Exploring connected device from desktop doesn't show contents in explorer window - this provides better user experience when exploring the device from the desktop.
Talk about a corporate-speak understatement!

l can't wait to see MS use this again such as: "bug fix prevents PDA's from spontaneously exploding - provides better user experience when holding the device in hand.''

Old 03-27-2004, 03:52 PM
disconnected
Sage

Ok, I used google to look up RAPI, but didn't totally uncerstand it (talk about understatement ops: )

I've occasionally had the explorer problem, but I've only had one major problem with ActiveSync (not counting the occasions when it doesn't recognize my iPAQ, or randomly disconnects). I can't remember when it started, and I've always thought it was a problem with my PC, rather than ActiveSync, but maybe not. I mostly install PPC apps using their desktop installer, and some apps freeze during the install. When the installer opens the PC window that normally says it's retreiving info from the PPC, the window is blank, and the whole PC freezes and can't be unfrozen except by shutting off the PC with the hardware button and then restarting -- usually several times to get it back to normal. When it happens with a particular app, it will always happen with that app. The only way to install those apps is to do the install with the PPC not connected and then the next time I connect it will do the automatic install ok. Proably not an ActiveSync problem, but I guess it can't hurt to do this upgrade anyway.

Old 03-27-2004, 04:33 PM
Sully
Pupil
Default file copy error

Anyone elese get a file copy error around 92% that says to re-boot and re-install? No matter how many time i re-boot and try it will not install. Shuting down virus software is no help, tried in safe mode. I can install 3.7 with no problems. Using win xp pro with sp2.

Old 03-27-2004, 05:00 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default Re: ActiveSync 3.7.1 Build 4034 Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Microsoft quietly uploaded a newer build of ActiveSync 3.7.1 this week (the previous public build was 3244).
So why is it still called 3.7.1 then? It should be called 3.7.1.1 or 3.7.2. :grumble: