Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 03-26-2004, 12:00 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Control your Mac with your Pocket PC

http://www.powerpage.org/cgi-bin/We...ry?newsID=11891

One of the cool programs I use on Mac OS X is Salling Clicker, which lets your mobile phone send commands to OS X programs. It's a great way to have a bluetooth remote for presentations. Someone named "bearfilm" didn't want to stop there, and wanted his Pocket PC to control his Mac. As you can read in the linked article, in the end he succeeded, using a combination of Missing Sync and VNC. In an update bearfilm writes it works through Bluetooth and WiFi. So if this is something you want to do (and who wouldn't?), now you know you can.

Old 03-26-2004, 02:07 PM
jizmo
Thinker

I gave it a try to follow the instuctions on my similar gear here (iPAQ 1940 and G4 Powerbook with bluetooth) but I don't understand a word he is saying here. I've installed OSXvnc on my laptop, but what is vncview.zippy, and how is it supposed to run on PPC when renamed to vncview.zip.

Annoying documentation to say atleast :?

Update - this seems to be the VNCViewer URL. Follow the instructions from there:

http://www.cs.utah.edu/~midgley/wince/vnc.html

/jizmo

Old 03-26-2004, 02:14 PM
gorkon280
Philosopher
Default Re: Control your Mac with your Pocket PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlof Bregonje
One of the cool programs I use on Mac OS X is Salling Clicker, which lets your mobile phone send commands to OS X programs. It's a great way to have a bluetooth remote for presentations. Someone named "bearfilm" didn't want to stop there, and wanted his Pocket PC to control his Mac. As you can read in the linked article, in the end he succeeded, using a combination of Missing Sync and VNC. In an update bearfilm writes it works through Bluetooth and WiFi. So if this is something you want to do (and who wouldn't?), now you know you can.
Thanks Marlof! I have been wanting to do this.....use it as a remote control for itunes!

Old 03-26-2004, 02:17 PM
jizmo
Thinker

Uh oh.. It seems like the data forking on mac once again breaks the .exe file so that once I transfer it to PPC, the executable isn't runnable anymore. This has happened many times before

How to get around this?

Could someone maybe zip the file and put it up somewhere?

/jizmo

Old 03-26-2004, 03:12 PM
Zack Mahdavi
Pontificator

I've downloaded this version onto my Mac and just copied it over to my PocketPC via bluetooth or wifi. It should work just fine.

Alternatively, you can go to that web page from your PocketPC and directly download that exe file to your device.

Marlow, I've tried doing this before myself as I have a VNC Server running on my Powermac. However, whenever I try to access my desktop through my Pocket PC, the refreshing is incredibly slow.... so slow that it's unusable. What resolution do you use on your Powerbook, and also what are your compression settings on the VNC Viewer? Thanks!

Old 03-26-2004, 04:47 PM
manywhere
Theorist
Send a message via MSN to manywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizmo
Uh oh.. It seems like the data forking on mac once again breaks the .exe file so that once I transfer it to PPC, the executable isn't runnable anymore. This has happened many times before

How to get around this?

Could someone maybe zip the file and put it up somewhere?

/jizmo
Here ya go; two compressed files -- one ZIP, another SIT (hey, that sounds funny! ) :
http://www.filips.net/tmp/

Download 'em while you can, they are there for a limited time only! :wink:

Old 03-26-2004, 08:06 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkmusa
Marlow, I've tried doing this before myself as I have a VNC Server running on my Powermac. However, whenever I try to access my desktop through my Pocket PC, the refreshing is incredibly slow.... so slow that it's unusable. What resolution do you use on your Powerbook, and also what are your compression settings on the VNC Viewer?
To make things clear: *I* use Salling Clicker with Bluetooth. *bearfilm* uses VNC and a Pocket PC. I don't use this setup, so I'm afraid I have to leave you lot to yourselves in your experiments. Which you seem to be doing anyhow.

Old 03-26-2004, 09:22 PM
Zack Mahdavi
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlof Bregonje
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkmusa
Marlow, I've tried doing this before myself as I have a VNC Server running on my Powermac. However, whenever I try to access my desktop through my Pocket PC, the refreshing is incredibly slow.... so slow that it's unusable. What resolution do you use on your Powerbook, and also what are your compression settings on the VNC Viewer?
To make things clear: *I* use Salling Clicker with Bluetooth. *bearfilm* uses VNC and a Pocket PC. I don't use this setup, so I'm afraid I have to leave you lot to yourselves in your experiments. Which you seem to be doing anyhow.
Ahh, I see.. Yeah, I have Salling Clicker for my T610, and it's quite nice. Works really well for presentations and other stuff. Hopefully one day we'll have a Pocket PC version of it. : )

Old 03-26-2004, 11:09 PM
manuelpl
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to manuelpl Send a message via AIM to manuelpl
Default Romeo Is much better

Get Romeo at versiontracker... and its free.

Old 03-28-2004, 07:47 PM
bearfilm
Neophyte
Default VNC with Pocket PC

Hey Guys,
I am that "bearfilm." I just wanted to clear up a few things.
1. I have paid for Salling Clicker and have it hooked up to my T610, I just didn't want to tie up my phone when I am doing keynote presentations. The ipaq thus becomes a better choice to do this and Salling does NOT and according to them will not exist for pocketPC (too bad in my opinion it's a great tool.)
2. I obviously posted my results too quickly and have tried to append my results when possible when I understand what confused you guys. (especially the link to the .zippy file.
3. I have been in contact with some people in trying to help them get this up and running. I know that results from others will start being posted to help others get this working.
4. I have been able to use this over bluetooth and w-fi (macosxhints.com edited my notes and left that out.)
5. Wi-fi works the easiest.
6. This works over internal networks and a direct PTP connection with just my powerbook airport card and ipaq over wi-fi.
Sorry for all the confusion guys, it's fun watching this snowball though!
Kevin (bearfilm)