Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 03-20-2004, 05:00 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default View Data on a Laptop Fast - Without Windows

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/36382.html

The Register reports that "Phoenix Technologies this week has kicked off what will prove to be a protracted battle to own the PC before the OS loads with a new version of its FirstWare Assistant software that gives customers easy access to email. Unveiled at CeBIT, the latest version of FirstWare Assistant lets users check their Microsoft Outlook email, calendar and contacts data without booting Windows XP. By holding down the "F" key, users get instant access to this information - technology thought to be ideal for checking up on appointments, recalling a phone number or pulling up directions while on the road."

OK, accessing data from your computer without firing up Windows � I'm impressed. It looks like the relevant data is being pre-cached by the FirstWare Assistant, so that it can be presented to you quickly. Only thing however, is that it can only give you what was synchronised onto the laptop before it was shut down. Intel has a more power hungry version of this technology, that can update the data while the laptop is still shut down.

"Both Phoenix and Intel have long-term visions for this type of technology. In the next couple of years, consumers will be able to start up music players, games and other software without Windows' help. In the meantime, Phoenix is simply billing its software as a tool for eliminating the PDA. Why carry both a laptop and handheld around when you get instant access to the same data on the notebook?" Why indeed? What's your take on this and the 'eliminating the PDA' concept?

Old 03-20-2004, 05:04 AM
jkendrick
Thinker

Sure, you can just carry your laptop around in your back pocket and check your PIM info whenever you want.

Old 03-20-2004, 05:26 AM
packetstorm
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkendrick
Sure, you can just carry your laptop around in your back pocket and check your PIM info whenever you want.
You nailed it. "Eliminate the PDA" ? Not likely. Nice idea for its designed purpose but I seriously doubt ppl are goind to dump their PDAs in favor of carriying around their notebooks.

Old 03-20-2004, 05:27 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Ohhh... Ground Hog Day http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...c.php?p=227261 :rotfl:

Old 03-20-2004, 05:36 AM
Steven Cedrone

You know, I thought I saw that before! :wink: Deja Vu! :lol:

Steve

Old 03-20-2004, 05:42 AM
jkendrick
Thinker

I still get credit for the first response for the 2nd thread! 0X

Old 03-20-2004, 07:10 AM
cmlpreston
Pupil
Default Re: View Data on a Laptop Fast - Without Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon Watkins
"Both Phoenix and Intel have long-term visions for this type of technology. In the next couple of years, consumers will be able to start up music players, games and other software without Windows' help.
So, you're (ok, they're) telling me that a computer can actually do stuff *without* Windows? Get out of here! :lol:

Michael J. Fox, where art thou?

cmlp

Old 03-20-2004, 07:18 AM
Gerard
Pontificator

PDA-like speed of use, with none of the convenience of a package weighing 10-15 times less and batteries lasting 2-5 times longer between charges.... hmmm, sounds brilliant to me! This is goofy. It may have very limited utility in certain very special situations, but generally there's no economy here. The kind of information this thing can deliver is identical to what an instant-on PPC delivers and then a whole lot more, without the wait to go ahead and boot Windows on a notebook when you realise you actually need to edit something, or send an email. Even just looking at the time factor - how can pulling a PC out of a briefcase or shoulderbag, opening it, hitting Power and holding down a key while it sort-of-boots possible be faster on the draw than a pocketable device with one-button access? Start adding in password access and the race just gets sillier.

Old 03-20-2004, 11:15 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Cedrone
You know, I thought I saw that before! :wink: Deja Vu! :lol:
ops: Ooops - sorry - I did not realise it had been posted on before. I saw the story myself while catching up with tech news. Guess I should read *every* story here at PPCT *carefully*.

6/10 - must try harder. :?

Old 03-20-2004, 11:31 AM
Aerestis
Theorist

mahhh, there will be no replacing, but sure... it's a useful feature for a notebook.