Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 03-18-2004, 06:53 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition

http://www.pocketpctools.com/module...iewtopic&t=1299

"A software developer answering a support question on a public forum has spilled some beans about the next version of the Windows Mobile operating system. This developer has identified a prototype version he is running labelled "Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition, Version 4.21.1088 (build 14049)" This information is in line with speculations that have been circulating that this update would not be a major upgrade but rather a refresh providing VGA support and screen rotation. The developer also confirms that the screen is rotated using the new SETTINGS > SYSTEM > SCREEN applet."

Old 03-18-2004, 07:21 PM
Will T Smith
Thinker
Default Another HUGE need ...

With CF storage surpassing 4GB, PocketPC 2003 SE needs support for up to 16GB devices.

Old 03-18-2004, 07:21 PM
ctitanic
Oracle
Default Re: Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
" The developer also confirms that the screen is rotated using the new SETTINGS > SYSTEM > SCREEN applet."
Well, this will cause a revolution. We will have to rewrite a lote of our code to make our programs work in both orientations, at least all that can be changed to work in both ways.

Old 03-18-2004, 07:29 PM
T-Will
Sage

So only 4-6 taps to rotate the screen? That's not bad... :roll: :wink:

Hopefully there will be a way to quickly rotate available, or a way to have the screen rotation set per application.

Also, remember 98SE was probably the best 9x release before XP, so hopefully WM2003SE will be a very solid release before we get a new mobile OS release/update.

Old 03-18-2004, 07:32 PM
jkendrick
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Will
So only 4-6 taps to rotate the screen? That's not bad... :roll: :wink:

Hopefully there will be a way to quickly rotate available, or a way to have the screen rotation set per application.

Also, remember 98SE was probably the best 9x release before XP, so hopefully WM2003SE will be a very solid release before we get a new mobile OS release/update.
Or an exisiting utility that will do that for you..

Old 03-18-2004, 08:19 PM
eustts
Intellectual

If WM2003 SE only adds screen resolution and rotation, then I would think that MS has missed the mark on this second edition.

WM2003SE needs to fix the outstanding issues first. :!:

Old 03-18-2004, 08:20 PM
jkendrick
Thinker

I'm sure there'll be a slew of fixes in it like they always do but also issues that are not.

Old 03-18-2004, 08:27 PM
Enderet
Thinker

Ill be happy with this "SE", as long as they also give us PPCs that are better than the current batch of 400mhz PPCs.

Old 03-18-2004, 08:33 PM
gohtor
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to gohtor Send a message via MSN to gohtor
Default Re: Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctitanic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
" The developer also confirms that the screen is rotated using the new SETTINGS > SYSTEM > SCREEN applet."
Well, this will cause a revolution. We will have to rewrite a lote of our code to make our programs work in both orientations, at least all that can be changed to work in both ways.
I agree. I may be wrong about this but i believe vs2003.net does not offer forms created for ppc to have their fields dynamically sizable and locked (left/right/top/bottom). this would help in case of screen rotation. On the other hand, perhaps all applications are expected to write forms for exactly 2 different screen sizes. kinda defeats the purpose of ce.net but certainly makes for a optimized ppc experience.

Old 03-18-2004, 08:37 PM
jkendrick
Thinker

I'm not a developer but I have been using the Toshiba e800 since it's release. Virtually every application with the exception of games pretty much works fine now in both VGA and landscape. Very few apps have trouble with the screen orientation. More apps exhibit difficulty due to the small font sizes in VGA than in landscape. The programs that allow user font size selection don't have any problems at all.

I guess I don't see this as a big development issue unless the program is a heavy graphic program like PocketTV, PocketMVP, etc.