Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 03-13-2004, 07:20 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Asus A730 Details Emerge?

http://www.asus.com/news/2004/20040311.htm

There's an ASUS PR on upcoming products to be shown at CeBIT, and they have a paragraph on the A730.

"Leveraging a high-quality VGA LCD, 1.3 million-pixel camera, Intel 520MHz Xscale CPU and both Bluetooth and IrDA wireless connections, the MyPal A730 is a powerful and multi-functional Pocket PC that significantly trims down carry on baggage on business trips."

Now, what do I do? I want an MPx and this. All in one. :dilemma: There's no mention of WiFi in the paragraph, but I'm hoping there's also a model that has that.

Old 03-13-2004, 07:33 PM
jb
Pupil

The never ending problem. If it has WF it will not have BT, If it has BT, it will not have WF, if it has SD it will not have CF, if it has CF it will not have SD.

Yeezzzz, when will OEM's get it straight. Let's go over it again. We would like BT, WF, CF & SD with a 4" VGA. That's it, now can someone please create this thing already.

Old 03-13-2004, 07:54 PM
kanoswrx
Neophyte

Doesn't really say what type of storage slots it will have, hopefully both CF and SD. But I agree I really hope it has BT and Wireless, just like their new 716 I think. This would be a step backward for them if it did have all that. Plus why do we need more cameras in devices, phones, pda's, whats next tooth brushes. I would much rather have CF,SD,BT and 802.11b then a stupid camera thats low res. I have a Canon G5 to take pictures if I need to. Lets just hope when more details come out it will have CF/SD/BT/802.11b, and if I am lucky no camera, haha.

Old 03-13-2004, 08:23 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

The only thing that would make this deter me away from the MPx is the faster CPU (520Mhz) and perhaps if it had 128mb. Nah, I still think the MPx is the device to have.

Old 03-13-2004, 08:41 PM
jb
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanoswrx
Plus why do we need more cameras in devices, phones, pda's, whats next tooth brushes.
Toothbruses??? That's great. :lol: Man, why didn't I think of that!!!!!!

:mrgreen:

Old 03-13-2004, 09:01 PM
Icebaron
Ponderer
Default Page pulled?

When I click the link all I get is a 404, did asus pull the announcement?

Old 03-13-2004, 09:02 PM
huangzhinong
Philosopher

The intel new xscale 520mhz processor has buildin wi-fi, so this one must have wi-fi. From the picture, it looks smaller than a716, I like it.

They use ipaq h4410 form factors, hope they can make it even better.

Old 03-13-2004, 09:24 PM
MichaelA
Ponderer
Send a message via ICQ to MichaelA Send a message via AIM to MichaelA Send a message via MSN to MichaelA Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelA

Unlike the previous ASUS devices, it looks like the d-pad and buttons on this one are just as horrible for gaming as the other Pocket PC devices. The device sounds great, but if they changed the layout and it's not good for gaming then I think I'll pass. It's a shame really, because with the A620 and the A716, they made the only modern Pocket PCs that were decent for playing games. Looks like they may be losing their edge. :roll:

Old 03-13-2004, 09:46 PM
jgoodman
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by huangzhinong
The intel new xscale 520mhz processor has buildin wi-fi, so this one must have wi-fi. From the picture, it looks smaller than a716, I like it.

They use ipaq h4410 form factors, hope they can make it even better.
I'm wondering about battery life in a package that small though...
If its anything like the 4410, running all those new features will be a wonderful and short-lived experience :?

Old 03-13-2004, 10:42 PM
kanoswrx
Neophyte

The chipset has built in wi-fi? you probably still need to incorporate it into the design, some kind of internal antene or something. But I hope you are right anyways. Also I agree about the buttons, needs to be a little more geared towards games. I never really understood why PPC makers don't just design it more for games, I mean business people don't care where the buttons really are. I hope Asus comes through, if not hopefully some other company will, this probably won't be the only new xscale ppc coming out early summer so we will see.