Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-07-2004, 12:00 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default CHMReader For Pocket PCs - Read Desktop .CHM Files

http://pjtewkesbury.webspace.surefi...k/CHMReader.htm

Most desktop help files (and some reference materials) are packaged in a special HTML format (.CHM). This free little tool enables you to be able to read these files on a Pocket PC. I haven't tried it, but it looks quite helpful if you want to carry references around with you.

Old 03-07-2004, 12:39 AM
dlangton
Intellectual

Just a little addition that the link is dead for the 2002 version of the file when you go to the site. It CAN be found at http://pjtewkesbury.webspace.surefish.co.uk/ . The link for the 2003 is fine.

Old 03-07-2004, 02:00 AM
HTK
Intellectual

This is a VERY cool initiative, but the sad thing is that,at least for me, it is too slow for frequent use, takes like 1 minute to open a normal chm file and sometimes like 5 minutes to load some pages ( I think is the pages with many links like the TOC ). And also the links on the pages does not work, but I use mostly the 'next' button and you get the same functionality on the app tool bar, so the links are not a big deal for me.

I was using the demo version of "chm reader for pocket pc2002" on my 1910 and it was great in speed and the links work. but they did not upgraded it yet to ppc2003 and now I have a 1945, so I had to find a alternative.

I still keep chmreader"2003" on my 1945 but the books I read more often I just extract the chm file and trow the files in a folder inside the storage card.

UPDATE: the links inside the app now work, and the loadings are now faster! good to know the project is still getting updates!

Old 03-07-2004, 02:34 AM
gohtor
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to gohtor Send a message via MSN to gohtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTK

UPDATE: the links inside the app now work, and the loadings are now faster! good to know the project is still getting updates!
That's cool. I'd definately try this app out. I have a few frequently used chm files as reference material.

Old 03-07-2004, 09:45 AM
jamier
Neophyte

team one's Reader, already in v3, reads CHM files already. and it reads pdf, pdb, tct, html, etc. its the best all in one reader i've found. i got it mainly for the chm reading though which it does admirably.

Old 03-07-2004, 12:42 PM
Steven Cedrone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamier
team one's Reader, already in v3, reads CHM files already. and it reads pdf, pdb, tct, html, etc. its the best all in one reader i've found. i got it mainly for the chm reading though which it does admirably.
The one problem I have with Team One:

Standard: US$ 15, Professional: US$ 25

Difference between the Standard and Professional:
1. Standard version limits to read odd chapters in PDF
2. Standard version limits to read first 15 files in CHM

I am not a fan of this pricing "scheme" at all. Why would I pay $15US, for what amounts to, a trial version of their software?

Steve

Old 03-07-2004, 03:47 PM
Venturello
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Cedrone
The one problem I have with Team One:

Standard: US$ 15, Professional: US$ 25

Difference between the Standard and Professional:
1. Standard version limits to read odd chapters in PDF
2. Standard version limits to read first 15 files in CHM
Wow. 8O This is probably the most stupid pricing idea I've heard off!!!

Old 03-07-2004, 05:35 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

That is a bit silly, as far as the standard capabilities. If it does what it advertises well though, I wouldn't mind paying the Pro price. It is worth money to me to have less programs that do more.

That said, does Team One Reader work on WM2003? Doesn't indicate so on the site.

Old 03-07-2004, 07:30 PM
HTK
Intellectual

As far as I know Team One Reader does not use pocketIE for rendering the html files from the chm archive, they have their own rendering system, so I don�t even consider it an option.

Old 03-08-2004, 08:36 AM
jamier
Neophyte

no, it's not free like the new util mentioned above.

yes, it seems to work fine on wm2003, thats where i'm using it.

no it doesnt seem to use IE's rendering control, but it seems to work fine. i've found it a refreshing alternative to acrovat reader, and for chms, because it renders it all as plain text, which when you just want to read the content and not get disrupted by design, is very useful.

try it out and see if you like it. i have no relation to it. i dont care if you buy or not. i just thought it was worth mentioning in this thread.