Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 03-03-2004, 04:30 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default How Often Do You Use Multiple Categorization?

There was a lot of discussion in our last Palm-Pocket PC discussion, and the subject of multiple categorization came up. For those of you who don't know, one of the very useful features of Pocket PCs (and Outlook for that matter) is the ability to assign multiple categories to a PIM entry. In Outlook, if you then view your PIM data by Category view, it appears under each of the appropriate categories.

Some of us think Palm's lack of multiple category support is egregious, but others think it's not a serious problem. It so turns out there are third-party tools for Palms that do support multiple categorization, but they add that functionality on top of the existing PIM schemas, as opposed to having it integrated like Pocket PCs do.

Nevertheless, I was curious if you, the Pocket PC-toting public, find multiple categorization an important feature of Pocket PCs. Let us know!

Old 03-03-2004, 04:38 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

I have tasks and acitivities related to my church activities and others related to work or family. Many of those activities cross paths and I NEED multiple categories. It has been a VERY long time since I used a PalmOS device and I had forgotten about that limitation. I couldn't imagine that was still the case... especially since I also live inside of Outlook and it has multiple category capability that syncs very well with my Pocket PC.

Old 03-03-2004, 04:40 PM
guinness
Intellectual

Sometimes, but it's not an essential requirement for me.

ombu
Theorist

All the time, but how I wish I could FILTER WITH "AND", not only "OR", that would use all the power of multiple categories.

Regards.

jkendrick
Thinker

Multiple categories really comes into it's own when you couple the PPC with a PIM like Pocket Informant. PI makes it so easy to instantly filter your information by category that it's easy to become dependent on it.

I could not go back to single categories.

Old 03-03-2004, 04:44 PM
Jeff Rutledge
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkendrick
I could not go back to single categories.
Same here. As I eluded to in the other thread, this limitation is one of the main reasons I won't even look at a Palm device. Very few of my tasks or contacts have only one category.

Old 03-03-2004, 04:52 PM
schergr
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to schergr Send a message via MSN to schergr Send a message via Yahoo to schergr
Default Can't live without it

I use multiple categories for a variety of functions. But mainly with my contacts and task categorization at work.

When I work on a project, I want to be able to quickly isolate all the contacts and tasks related to a specific project. I can do this with a single category, but if I also assign those same contacts to the Business category and to a custom "company name" category and I want to assign some of those same tasks to a goals/objectives category so I can track deliverables, there is no other effective way.

I use this approach with all Outlook 2003 and Pocket Outlook features (Calendar, Contacts and Tasks). Coupled with PI5 this is a powerhouse.

Old 03-03-2004, 05:07 PM
ucfgrad93
Intellectual

So far, I have never needed to use multiple categories. And I've had a PDA since June 2000.

Old 03-03-2004, 05:08 PM
Jimmy Dodd
Sage

I use the multiple categories to achieve a category hierarchy of sorts. For example, I have a general Development category. I also have individual project categories (for both work and personal projects). In a glance I can see all of my open Development issues, only the issues for a certain project, all personal projects, etc. I don't know how I'd get around the Palm limit.

Old 03-03-2004, 05:19 PM
WyattEarp
Sage

Cross referencing is an absolute neccesity. When I had a Palm it was one thing I really needed. Everything in life is not so cut and dry. So when I got my first PPC with the ability to use multiple categories it was a life saver. It is much easier to organize and manage both my business and personal life.