Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 02-23-2004, 07:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Visto Announces New Comprehensive Wireless Email Solution for Wireless Operators

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/s...+2004,+02:00+AM

"Visto Corporation, the leading provider of personal and corporate mobile messaging solutions to wireless operators for the broadest set of mobile device platforms, today announced Visto Mobile Personal Edition(TM). Visto Mobile Personal Edition is a flexible set of custom-branded applications and services that let wireless operators provide subscribers with real-time, secure, remote access to their corporate and personal email, PIM and other files directly from their wireless devices. With the Visto Mobile Personal Edition mobile operators can address a broad range of market segments that include individual subscribers, SOHO (Small Office, Home office), and mobile professionals working for medium and large enterprises. It can be integrated with the wireless operator's networks so that operators can effectively manage billing, user provisioning and customer support.

Visto Mobile Personal Edition provides wireless access to Microsoft(R)Exchange and Outlook(TM), Lotus Domino/Notes corporate email, calendar, address book and desktop-accessible files, as well as to multiple personal/Internet (POP3) mailboxes. Visto supports all popular wireless PDAs/phones using Palm OS (including the new Handspring / palmOne Treo 600), Windows Mobile (Pocket PC and Smartphone, including Windows Mobile 2003), and Symbian platforms, J2ME devices, as well as enhanced wireless phones with WAP browsers. Visto also supports IMAP and SyncML-based email clients on mobile devices."

Visto claims to be the leading provider, but I haven't heard of them before - is anyone here familiar with their services? I'd like to learn more about what they have to offer, because it sounds intriguing.

Old 02-23-2004, 08:04 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

Yes, during the dot-com era, Visto was a provider of hosted messaging content similar to OneBox (which was later acquired by OpenWave).

Old 02-23-2004, 08:05 PM
Paragon
Magi

Jason,

You may find this interesting as well: http://www.microsoft.com/canada/even...go.x=14&go.y=9 Sorry, I don't know much more than what is posted. I'm going to the event and will let you know.

Dave

Old 02-23-2004, 10:31 PM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

I've used Visto one 2 occasions. One when they were a �unified� messaging/inbox service (early �00s) and more recently as a solution to gain access to my Exchange email (since our IT department won�t support anything other than RIM). Great idea for people with a PC that�s always on and that run PPC 2002. I had to hard reset my PPC with WM 2003 because they don�t support WM03 and I couldn�t get the thing to uninstall. Got a message from their tech department with a very vague workaround that didn�t work. Wish it would. Still waiting Visto. 2 press releases about how into PPCs you are, but you don�t support the current OS. :evil:

Old 02-23-2004, 11:38 PM
Zensbikeshop
Intellectual

I assume you saw that Visto bought Psion Software?

I'd never heard of them before that.

If you have a Symbian phone then the product they bought Psion Software for is very cool - other than that I dunno what their products are like...

Old 02-23-2004, 11:51 PM
johnm
Ponderer

They also bought Seattle based ViAir back in June. ViAir also did mobile messaging and email.