Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 02-17-2004, 01:06 AM
Perk
Intellectual
Default Would you buy an MSN Direct watch?

I'm a gadget nut. The smaller it is, the better. I truly need my iPAQ during a workday, no question. However, I can't stop wondering how it would be to wear one of these little gems.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/i...omdex-spot.jpg

http://direct.msn.com/About/default.aspx

They cost anywhere from $130 to $300 and require subscription service. You can pay $10 per month or just $60 per year. It syncs data via FM radio and can send channel services like what I now get from Avantgo. In addition, it says it will sync my Outlook appointments and receive msn messenger service, keep the watch atomic synced with local time wherever I go and it's rechargable to to support it's bright backlight function and the processor within.

If you got one, I'd REALLY love to hear from you. What's it really like. Is it buggy? How does the calendar alarm perform? etc.

Old 02-17-2004, 01:09 AM
Steven Cedrone

I'm not really a watch person, but I will probably try it. I just wish they would make a "Pocket Watch" version!

Steve

Old 02-17-2004, 02:45 AM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

I definitely would. It would solidify my role in the office as the resident gadget whore ;-)

Old 02-17-2004, 03:11 AM
arnage2
Oracle

i will. I am always on the technological edge. I have to maintain my title.

Ill have a smartphone, portable media center, wm2004 device and a smart watch for junior year of high school. (next school year)

Old 02-17-2004, 06:28 AM
jimski
Philosopher

Not quite the same, but I have been using a Timex Skypager Watch for the past year and while it has eliminated the need for me to wear a pager on my belt, it can sometimes be a pain.

I receive weather & news updates and sports scores for my favorite teams. Can also receive short messages but I can't get anyone to send them. While I sometimes look forward to the info, a.)I usually already know what it is beeping me about (news story, etc.) or b.)It seems to beep at the most inoportune time.

It automatically updates the time constantly so as a watch, it works. But is is sure geeky. If it was not for the pager feature, I would not think of wearing it. (Why can't they add a pager chip to a PDA or a cell phone - it fits in this watch).

One thing I do like is the zinc air battery that gives me 5-7 weeks between changes.

Old 02-17-2004, 01:45 PM
GoldKey
Pontificator

I would, but service is not available in my area.

Old 02-20-2004, 02:15 AM
Sheynk
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to Sheynk Send a message via MSN to Sheynk

I am a bit skeptical of this.

Wes had some interesting experiences with his Fossil Spot watch that he posted on his site....good stuff. http://www.wessalmon.com/000235.html#comments

Old 02-21-2004, 09:45 PM
Mitch D
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Cedrone
I'm not really a watch person, but I will probably try it. I just wish they would make a "Pocket Watch" version!

Steve
Creating Pocket Watch version of SPOT watch:

(1) Remove Band
(2) Stick watch in pocket
(3) enjoy

:wink:

Sorry Steven I couldn't resist...

Old 02-21-2004, 09:58 PM
Wiggster
Philosopher
Send a message via AIM to Wiggster Send a message via MSN to Wiggster

I voted "No, it's too geeky for me" when I wish I could have voted "While coveting it, I find that I have no disposable income to devote to such an extravagance".

I'm all in favor of geeky, but a few financial windfalls have befallen me, and since my phone has internet, I can pretty much get all that information from my start page.

Curses!

Old 02-23-2004, 08:01 AM
dean_shan
Mystic

Doesn't work in my area. So it's a no go from the start.