Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 02-15-2004, 12:00 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Verizon To Carry Bluetooth Phone?

http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=787

Phone Scoop is reporting that the FCC has approved a Bluetooth Motorola CDMA Phone for... get this... Verizon Wireless. This unit, the V710, has dual color displays, a camera with flash, and even a memory slot. I wonder what OS the unit runs...

If it's true, and if Verizon actually intends to carry it with a decent data plan, I'll probably be first in line. Let's hope that, along with the T608, this is the beginning of a turnaround in the CDMA carriers' reluctance to support Bluetooth devices.

Old 02-15-2004, 12:18 AM
OSUKid7
Mystic

And I'll be #2 in line. I'm halfway through a 2 yr contract, so although I'd like to get the iPaq 6000, I might settle with my 3870 and a BT phone.

Old 02-15-2004, 12:22 AM
dh
Mystic

I'm hoping that the CDMA carriers really are moving ahead with better phones for handling data.

I recently gave up on Sprint getting anything that I really wanted and went with their Sanyo VM4500. I was able to resist the T608, mainly because of the poor data plan associated with it.

I would say that the VM4500 with Bluetooth (yeh, right!) would be very close to the perfect cellphone, especially if it could use the unlimited Vision plan. In the absence of BT I'm going to try one of thse SupplyNet cables.

Since I have two lines under contract with Sprint, I don't want to switch to Verizon, especially since their plans tend not to be so generous.

What I really want is for Sprint to go with a Clamshell MS Smartphone. My daughter wants that too because see has her eye on that VM4500.

Old 02-15-2004, 01:05 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUKid7
And I'll be #2 in line. I'm halfway through a 2 yr contract, so although I'd like to get the iPaq 6000, I might settle with my 3870 and a BT phone.
... especially because all the public rumors suggest that the iPAQ 6000 device will be GSM, at least at first, and GSM has lousy coverage at my house. I used to use a T68, and while the BT was nice, having to go to one of three spots at home wasn't.

--janak

Old 02-15-2004, 02:00 AM
jeremyweisser
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to jeremyweisser

Shame I switched my company phone to AT&T just for the t616.

Old 02-15-2004, 02:21 AM
dh
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUKid7
... especially because all the public rumors suggest that the iPAQ 6000 device will be GSM, at least at first, and GSM has lousy coverage at my house. I used to use a T68, and while the BT was nice, having to go to one of three spots at home wasn't.

--janak
I have the same problem. GSM coverage is not good at all where I live. Couple this with the fact that GPRS is so slow, it really limits my options.

Old 02-15-2004, 03:00 AM
arebelspy
Theorist
Send a message via AIM to arebelspy
Default Re: Verizon To Carry Bluetooth Phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
if Verizon actually intends to carry it with a decent data plan
Doubtful. Now that people will have bluetooth phones net access will shoot up, so why not charge em for it?

-arebelspy

Old 02-15-2004, 03:19 AM
DerekTheGeek
Ponderer
Default Watch as Verizon removes the bluetooth

I would not get too excited. I would be very surprised, though gladly so, if Verizon carried this phone without first removing Bluetooth. Look at their track record..

1. Motorola 270c - No support for the Bluetooth module. Phone now D/C.
2. Sony-Ericsson T61c - Only reseller stores carried these and even they knew nothng about using the DBA-10 Bluetooth adapter which could and can use the Bluetooth adapter.
3. Dropped plans to carry version of T608.

Verizon has had plenty of oppourtunities to have Bluetooth phones. They just refuse to carry them. They are more interested in the ridiculous BREW apps for their "Get it now" apps. My bet is that GSM and/or WCDMA gets built up before Verizon actually offers a Bluetooth phone with 3G speeds. I truly hope I am wrong.

- Derek

Old 02-15-2004, 03:42 AM
gorkon280
Philosopher
Default IF

IF Verizon has this phone AND a decent data plan, it may preclude me from going with T-Mobile. T-Mobile's coverage stinks, but at least it works where I need it. Currently maintain a GPRS Data only plan with a Merilin G100. If Version does not come down to around 20 a month for unlimited data, I am still switching everything to T-Mobile. Verizon is on notice with me. I have been a Verizon customer since before they were Verizon in my area. LISTEN to the users who WANT BT! They want it so they can PAY you for internet access!

Old 02-15-2004, 03:44 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Re: Watch as Verizon removes the bluetooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekTheGeek
I would not get too excited. I would be very surprised, though gladly so, if Verizon carried this phone without first removing Bluetooth. Look at their track record..
Oh, I know. Believe me, I know.

Quote:
1. Motorola 270c - No support for the Bluetooth module. Phone now D/C.
People did get this to work. It's been discontinued because it's not 1xRTT.

Quote:
2. Sony-Ericsson T61c - Only reseller stores carried these and even they knew nothng about using the DBA-10 Bluetooth adapter which could and can use the Bluetooth adapter.
The T61c also got very mediocre reviews.

Quote:
3. Dropped plans to carry version of T608.
The T606 actually had no Bluetooth when it passed FCC certification.

The FCC bit is what makes it interesting -- it means that Verizon and/or Motorola actually paid for the BT part to be tested. It would sound stupid if it were to be disabled after the fact. On the other hand, you're right -- it's not only possible, it's possibly likely. I'm still crossing my fingers though.

Quote:
I truly hope I am wrong.
Here's why I'm thinking BT is going to become more likely, if for no other reason: cars' handsfree kits. I'm seeing an increasing clamor for BT support, because new cars have BT support built in so that you don't need to get a kit. I've read the newsgroups and I'm seeing an increasing number of people telling Verizon, "sorry, I'm leaving since you don't have BT". Once again, I'm crossing my fingers.

--janak