Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 02-11-2004, 11:01 AM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian
Default Geek.com's Duel of Two Sync Cables

http://www.surplus.com.hk/catalog/p...products_id=110

Call me strange (and I know you do), but I haven't used the synch cradles for any of my Pocket PCs for over a year. Ever since I started using combo synch/charge cables I've never gone back to using a bulky cradle.

Here's an article on the Geek.com site that can help you decide between some of the various synch/charge cables out there. It's a mini-review of a six-foot cable from Surplus PDA and a retractible one from Proporta. They each have pros and cons, so see what you think. Personally, I like the retractible kind, mostly because they are so much more pocketable.

Note: The article mentions that the Surplus PDA cables have an on/off switch and "hotsynch" button, but a check of their site shows that the Pocket PC versions only have (obviously) the on/off switch.

Old 02-11-2004, 01:46 PM
Xianfox
Pupil
Send a message via Yahoo to Xianfox

I use the cradle at work. When at my desk I drop the PDA into the cradle.

The cradle positions the pda at a pretty good viewing angle. Since I have it set to not turn the backlight off when on external power, I get the same effect as having an open planner laying on my desk all the time.

I vote for cradle.

Old 02-11-2004, 01:57 PM
bitbank
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to bitbank

I personally don't like the cradle because I have so many Pocket PCs that the cradles would take over my entire desk. They also tend to tip over when I reach across my desk for other items. I like the sync n charge cable and If you're a cheapskate like me, you can get them for $4.85 each at Meritline:

http://store.yahoo.com/meritline/pda...-for-ipaq.html

L.B.

Old 02-11-2004, 05:32 PM
jnunn
Ponderer

A friend of mine wrote a story on the "99 cents only" store so I went in to check the place out. I picked up a sync/charge cable for 99 cents for my iPAQ. Of course, I bought a few: one for my car (it came with a car adapter), one for my home, one for my office, and a couple for my friends.

I love these sync/charge cables and especially at the price I paid for them. :-)

Old 02-12-2004, 12:11 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Any reason these sync and charge cable reviews only offer two choices? :confused totally: here's another two-option review (miniSync and Lil' Sync).

Old 02-12-2004, 12:35 AM
bbarker
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnunn
A friend of mine wrote a story on the "99 cents only" store so I went in to check the place out. I picked up a sync/charge cable for 99 cents for my iPAQ. Of course, I bought a few: one for my car (it came with a car adapter), one for my home, one for my office, and a couple for my friends.

I love these sync/charge cables and especially at the price I paid for them. :-)
Is this an online store or something in your area?

Old 02-13-2004, 12:42 AM
jnunn
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarker
Is this an online store or something in your area?
It is a physical store in a chain of some sort. I found one somewhat close to home and some are scattered about the LA/OC area. It may be broader based than just SoCal since the story said it is listed on the NYSE.