Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 02-05-2004, 10:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Refurbished NEC MobilePro 780 from $279.99

http://pocketpcthoughts.pricegrabbe...4938f58ff38847b

"Designed for people who need to travel light, who are on the job even when not at their desks, and who perform best when they stay in touch. Introducing the MobilePro 780 Handheld PC! This Handheld PC Companion is a communications platform, productivity station and presentation tool for mobile professionals. At under two pounds and just 1.1" thin, it provides instant access to e-mail, business applications, contact files and the Internet. Back in the office, you can synchronize the MobilePro� 780 with your desktop or notebook PC. The MobilePro 780 sports a peppy 168MHz NEC VR4121 processor, 32MB RAM, 640x240 64K color display, and a built in 56K modem. The list of bundled software is huge and includes many of the best CE applications available. You�ll discover that the MobilePro 780 Handheld PC offers demanding mobile users a portable solution for quick and easy email and Internet access!"

I know there are some HPC fans out there, so if you've been looking for an excuse to pick up one for cheap, this is it - $279.99 USD is a steal for a device that originally sold at over $800 USD. HPC make great devices for students as well. [Affiliate]

Old 02-05-2004, 10:05 PM
dmacburry2003
Philosopher

This device is GREAAAAT! It is fast AND has a TON of included programs.

The only think I don't like is that there is only a mono earpiece/microphone, it has no stereo output. It does have good sound quality through the speaker (loud, too) and through the earpiece.

The keyboard is also VERY easy to type on. Its great.

I highly recommend it

Old 02-05-2004, 10:12 PM
ojleblanc
Pupil

I read that this device has USB. Does that mean one can connect it to a USB printer and use it essentially as a low-end laptop?

Old 02-05-2004, 10:14 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojleblanc
I read that this device has USB. Does that mean one can connect it to a USB printer and use it essentially as a low-end laptop?
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but no, I don't think so. The USB would be for synchronizing.

Old 02-05-2004, 10:22 PM
dmacburry2003
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojleblanc
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but no, I don't think so. The USB would be for synchronizing.
Nope Jason, your wrong about that too :twisted:

I had the 880, the model with the USB (same exact thing, bigger screen; and the 780 may or may not have USB, let me check). The only thing I could use the USB for was a mouse (it is a host, don't believe slave came out untill the 900; I always used an optical mouse with it because the stylus broke and I didn't want to scratch the screen (not too many protectors big enough)). There are no other drivers to be found (I searched and searched) except for a specific USB floppy driver driver. You might have to request drivers on you own to use other devices except for a mouse.

Alrighty, then?

Edit: The 780 can only sync via serial (slow 115K, or quick 4 MBps infrared).

Edit #2: Nope, sorry I don't even think it supports USB. This was offered on the 880 because it was a bit bigger and more for enterprise (I read that somewhere). You can check the specs here

Old 02-05-2004, 10:24 PM
Hal Goldstein
Ponderer
Default Re: Refurbished NEC MobilePro 780 from $279.99

Quote:
<I know there are some HPC fans out there, so if you've been looking for an excuse to pick up one for cheap, this is it - $279.99 USD is a steal for a device that originally sold at over $800 USD. HPC make great devices for students as well. [Affiliate]
Wow we Thaddeus Computing at www.usedhandhelds.com have been selling the NEC 780 for months at $295. How's this for an offer:

When you order from UsedHandhelds.com and in Comment field state: "Pocket PC Thoughts discussion price", we'll sell it to you for $250. Note that we have an unconditional 30-day return policy. If you don't like it you can send it back.

Hal Goldstein
CEO Thaddeus Computing
Publisher, Pocket PC magazine, UsedHandhelds.com
[email protected]

Old 02-05-2004, 10:31 PM
element
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Goldstein
Quote:
<I know there are some HPC fans out there, so if you've been looking for an excuse to pick up one for cheap, this is it - $279.99 USD is a steal for a device that originally sold at over $800 USD. HPC make great devices for students as well. [Affiliate]
Wow we Thaddeus Computing at www.usedhandhelds.com have been selling the NEC 780 for months at $295. How's this for an offer:

When you order from UsedHandhelds.com and in Comment field state: "Pocket PC Thoughts discussion price", we'll sell it to you for $250. Note that we have an unconditional 30-day return policy. If you don't like it you can send it back.

Hal Goldstein
CEO Thaddeus Computing
Publisher, Pocket PC magazine, UsedHandhelds.com
[email protected]

Great, does this mean PPCT is going to become a posting board for used stuff?

Old 02-05-2004, 10:34 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by element
Great, does this mean PPCT is going to become a posting board for used stuff?
Nope. I've posted a couple of refurbished offers from Pricegrabber over the past month just because they seemed like a cheap way to get hardware, and some people don't mind getting a used item to save some $$$.

Don't worry, this won't turn into Garage Sale Thoughts. ;-)

Old 02-05-2004, 10:48 PM
element
Ponderer
Default GarageSaleThoughts.com

I LOVE it! That made me laugh. Thanks.

Old 02-05-2004, 10:56 PM
palmsolo
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to palmsolo

Thanks Hal, now you have me thinking what gear I can sell to pick up one of the 780s. I am a big keyboard/thumboard fan and would love to pick one of these up for mobile writing. I have to check around some more and see what software is available for it and what the old reviews said about the unit. I may be ordering from you real soon