Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 02-03-2004, 11:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Donationware Pocket PC Sony Playstation Emulator Released

http://fpsearm.psxfanatics.com/

"Ludovic Olivencia and LDchen are proud to present FpseCE 0.09.1 the only Playstation 1 emulator running on PocketPC using Dynamic Recompilation. What's news since 0.09:

� Improved the compilation of some MIPS opcodes. This should give you a little more speed. (LDChen)
� Fixed a bug in shifting opcodes. Now several games (WipeOut 3, FIFA soccer games and others) are fully playable. (LDChen).
� Completely rewritten the blitting routines for displaying graphics. Stretching, landscape left/right and portrait modes are implemented. (LDChen)
� Improved movies playback speed. A new, faster IDCT routine optimized for ARM is used and some optimizations had been added to YUV to RGB conversions. (LDChen).
� ...and many more"

I'm not really into emulators, but I know they're quite popular on the Pocket PC, so if you have some old classic PS1 games you're itching to re-live on your Pocket PC, check this out. If you like the software, toss 'em a couple of bucks - I'd like to see the development of this emulator continue. :way to go:

Old 02-03-2004, 11:04 PM
Wiggster
Philosopher
Send a message via AIM to Wiggster Send a message via MSN to Wiggster

Figures, the day that I send my iPAQ off for repairs. :|

But I'm sure my roommate will be willing to find this and give us a review of it sometime soon with his.

Old 02-03-2004, 11:09 PM
sponge
Philosopher

Only users of A620s need apply, it's the most playable device, besides the controls, many games are actually completly playable!

Old 02-03-2004, 11:09 PM
dmacburry2003
Philosopher

Do you need like a HUGE CF/SD to store a normal game? Can they be ripped on a PC with no extra hardware?

Old 02-03-2004, 11:43 PM
arnage2
Oracle

when my ipaq arrives, im downloading this.

Old 02-03-2004, 11:48 PM
sponge
Philosopher

PSX games are normal CDs, you can rip them, and then use PocketISO to strip out movies, etc. I have the original GTA as a 12MB file, compressed.

Old 02-03-2004, 11:56 PM
lonesniper
Intellectual

I like their website, very nice looking.
Where does one get the games though??

Old 02-03-2004, 11:58 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

I used the compression tool to get my copy of Ridge Racer onto my CF card. The emulator is slow, but promising on my 221x device. The controls are 'ok' but not great. Note: You must have a PS1 ROM image and getting a ROM from anywhere but off your own device may be considered illegal.

Old 02-04-2004, 03:03 AM
sys202
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesniper
I like their website, very nice looking.
Where does one get the games though??
Your own legally bought PS1 game CDs, then using tools such as PocketISO to rip them into a decent size that can fit into PocketPC (or Pocket PC? or PPC? bah).

Old 02-04-2004, 04:16 AM
Paul
Intellectual

Wow that's cool! Time to dig up those old PS games.