Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Competition

Old 01-29-2004, 02:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Pocketsurfer: The Real Web or a Real Toy?

http://www.pocketsurfer.net/

"The Web brings it to you, whether it's online shopping or maps to your next appointment. From glossy annual reports to photos from a friend's trek overseas, the Web delivers the world to you instantly - big, vivid, dynamic. So when you step away from your computer, why be deprived of the rich information and real Web experience you've come to rely on? You don't have to be stuck with mobile devices that deliver the Web as it was never intended: small, dull, and slow."

Anyone heard of this thing? There are basically zero tech specs on the site, and all we know about it is that it it has a 640 x 480 screen and uses Bluetooth to communicate with a mobile phone. No mention of OS, CPU, or even local storage options. Looking at the photo, it looks like something you'd buy for a six year-old at Toys R' Us, and the aspect ratio of the screen is most certainly not 640 x 480. It's still six months away from being released, so perhaps I'm not being fair, but it doesn't look terribly impressive at first glance.

Old 01-29-2004, 02:29 PM
Ken Mattern
Intellectual

Quote:
Big screen. With 640-pixel-wide display
Sorry, Jason, but it doesn't say "x480". It looks like 240 to me. You're right, however, it does look like something that I would (not) buy at Toys-R-Us. It's not nearly geeky enough for me

Something tells me that we'll never see this thing hit the streets.

Old 01-29-2004, 02:47 PM
Kevin Remhof
Intellectual

Interesting. I agree that it looks like you'd find this in the Toys 'R Us Aisles next to Leap Pads. "Look kids, a web surfing gizmo".

My guess though is that this is a prime case of vaporware. At $199, I can't see this being a functional unit. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

Old 01-29-2004, 02:49 PM
popabawa
Intellectual

This kinda reminds of me of that Pogo device that was knocking around a few years ago http://www.pcmag.co.uk/Products/Hardware/1130835.

That wasn't exactly a roaring success....

Old 01-29-2004, 02:50 PM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

Looks like you would have to have fingers as long as E.T. to type on that thing comfortably. Look how far back the keys are.

Old 01-29-2004, 02:53 PM
sesummers
Ponderer
Default Not that far-fetched.

If you remove the pastel colored "how to" sticker from under the keyboard area, it wouldn't look so "toys-r-us"-ish. I don't see why they wouldn't give it a full size keyboard though- at least the full size of the cover area.

As far as the price, note that it says "plus an internet service fee". This might be the kind of thing that you get subsidized if you sign up for two years of MSN or something. That could mean the real price is closer to $400, which wouldn't be that unlikely for a low-end Pocket PC type machine with a double-size (640x240 instead of 320x240?) display. It's twice what I paid for my Dell X5.

Old 01-29-2004, 02:54 PM
manywhere
Theorist
Send a message via MSN to manywhere

I'll bet that:
  • ... the hinges will break/snap way faster than it did on the Philips Velo
  • ... the screenshot does not represent the real browser in the device
  • ... Toys-r-Us will try to sell it since it isn't something for real PDA users
  • ... won't have Windows CE .NET (or the likes) installed but some proprietary OS
The device also has way too much mass behind the screen which will result in poor keyboard usage. :idontthinkso: Definately a no-buy...

I think I'll burn my money on the iPAQ 6300 instead! :wink:

Old 01-29-2004, 02:58 PM
IntegraPrelude98
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to IntegraPrelude98

It looks to me like someone glued on the keyboard as an afterthought! :lol:

Old 01-29-2004, 03:01 PM
Steven Cedrone

Kinda' looks like the old Sharp Wizards, only not as sturdy... :wink:

Steve

Old 01-29-2004, 03:57 PM
Perry Reed
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to Perry Reed Send a message via MSN to Perry Reed

I like the idea, just not the apparent execution. I love the idea of just carrying my phone (preferably a SmartPhone, of course) for most use, but occasionally would want a big screen and keyboard for web browsing or web access to my email, etc.

A few things would make this device desirable, in my view:

- A decent keyboard. You've got lots of room there, put a real keyboard on it!

- What's the extra internet access fee they're talking about??? Just charge me the upfront cost (and $199 is at the very high end of what I'd pay), and let me deal with my cell phone company for the monthly access.

- A scroll wheel. Since the screen is not very tall, you know there will be lots of scrolling. Make it easy with a little scroll wheel.