Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 01-28-2004, 08:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Get on the WiFi Train: Microsoft MN-500 Router

http://estore.shopplex.com/app/stor...092059015&aid=5

"The Microsoft MN-500 Wireless Base Station is a router with integrated wireless access point and a 4-port Ethernet switch. This is the centerpiece of an 802.11b wireless network. The Microsoft easy-to-use setup software makes it easy for you to connect multiple wired and wireless computers in your home or small office to the Internet through a single broadband connection, such as a cable or DSL modem. Enjoy data transfer rates of up to 11 Mbps for wireless connections and 100 Mbps for wired connections - that`s significantly faster than a typical broadband connection. Built-in security feature provides strong security features including a built-in hardware firewall, Network Address Translation (NAT), and 128-bit wireless security (WEP)."

If you have broadband Internet access, and you don't have WiFi, you're missing out. TRUST ME! I've had several friends and family members say that they weren't interested in getting a wireless network set up, but once they have it, they wonder how they ever lived without it. Yes, WiFi is that great!

Our affiliate partner Tek 'n Toys has these available for about $60 USD, which is a great deal. Yes, there is the newer MN-700 which adds 802.11g support, but unless you have a "G" device and need 54mbps, I'd still very strongly recommend the MN-500. I personally found it to be more stable than the MN-700, and somehow everything felt a little faster the MN-500 as well (in terms of my hard-wired connection). Go check it out!

Old 01-28-2004, 08:20 PM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

Do any of the MSFT routers have a parallel port for printers? Was thinking of dumping my 4 year old Linksys (no good reason, except G desires), but can't find one with a port for hooking in the printer. Other thought was to network the printer via tcp/ip, but I can't find an adapter for the printer that's reasonably priced.

Old 01-28-2004, 08:46 PM
trachy
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdegroodt
Do any of the MSFT routers have a parallel port for printers? Was thinking of dumping my 4 year old Linksys (no good reason, except G desires), but can't find one with a port for hooking in the printer. Other thought was to network the printer via tcp/ip, but I can't find an adapter for the printer that's reasonably priced.
I don't know if Microsoft makes such a device, but D-Link does. The DI-824VUP has four ethernet ports and supports bi-directional parallel and USB connections.

Old 01-28-2004, 08:55 PM
RKosin
Ponderer
Default MS WiFi

So begins the comments between the B versus G group...while there is no 802.11 G on the PDA :evil: the MS PC card MN-720 "smokes" in a G environment both at home and the growing TMobile hotspots....remember those technologically older friends can use their B when visting a G household 8)

Old 01-28-2004, 09:06 PM
buckyg
Thinker

Thanks for the deal tip, Jason. Will look into this for my sister's setup. I've been thinking about getting her set up for wireless. She's got a cable modem hooked to her laptop but using it as a desktop. I'll bet she'd love to go wireless. She hates clutter & cables, so the one box would be great.

I know it would also help me when I visit, too.

Old 01-28-2004, 09:38 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Do any of the MSFT routers have a parallel port for printers?
Nope, none of them are print servers. Even when I had a D-Link router/print server, I never used it...didn't really see much of an advantage for my personal setup. And a parallel port? What's that? ;-)

Old 01-28-2004, 09:39 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Re: MS WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKosin
So begins the comments between the B versus G group...while there is no 802.11 G on the PDA :evil: the MS PC card MN-720 "smokes" in a G environment both at home and the growing TMobile hotspots....remember those technologically older friends can use their B when visting a G household 8)
Indeed, but at only $60, this isn't much of an investment for someone to get started going wireless. And, honestly, unless I'm doing giant file transfers, 802.11b speeds are more than sufficient for everything I do.

Old 01-28-2004, 09:43 PM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Quote:
Do any of the MSFT routers have a parallel port for printers?
Nope, none of them are print servers. Even when I had a D-Link router/print server, I never used it...didn't really see much of an advantage for my personal setup. And a parallel port? What's that? ;-)
Touche! As soon as I sent that I realized that the printer connects via USB. See, shows how often I have to use it. But that might be the problem, since I roam freely now, I'm not inclined to go wire myself up and print out something. Probably best for the trees anyway. If you have to think twice about printing something maybe it isn't worth printing.

On the MSFT side, I have to hand them a design compliment. Their little routers (Are they SMC?) are kinda nice to look at.

Old 01-28-2004, 10:10 PM
Dave Potter
Thinker

I have this router along with one of the MS USB wireless adaptors for my desktop PC. They both work great. On my PPC I have a Socket SDIO WiFi card as well. Everything is setup with 128 WEP and MAC address filtering - no problems or incompatibilities whatsoever!

I also like the fact that you can shut off the SSID broadcasting - makes it a little bit harder for that knowledgable and persistent hacker to break in.

Old 01-28-2004, 10:20 PM
ddwire
Ponderer

I have one of these too. I also have two of the MN-520 pc cards, I use them in my Dell lap tops and my CAsio E-200 Pocket pc. Works great in the Casio but cuts battery life down to 1-2 hours of use. I also have two computers connected to it via cable and I cannot tell the speed diff. between the cabled 100mbs connection and the wireless 11. I too would like my printer connected directly to the network, That will be my next purchase network laser printer as the cost of an adapter from Brother for my current printer is almost as much as a new printer.