Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 01-27-2004, 05:30 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default New Tech Gadgets Get Tougher To Operate

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...ier_electronics

"Not only are the latest electronic gadgets packed with more features than ever, they're also harder than ever to figure out. Culprits span the gizmo gamut from DVD players to digital cameras and wireless devices. Even televisions are increasingly acting more like computers, those notoriously confounding beasts. Barry Jaruzelski would have never imagined he'd need to consult a 146-page owner's manual just to learn how to turn on his new cell phone."

Believe it or not, I'm mixed on this subject. I agree that many companies don't put any effort into making a decent UI, and that's a shame. But, at the same time, I see lots of consumers who don't bother to make any mental effort to learn new devices as well.

Here's a simple example: the toughest cell phone I've ever had to use was the (now venerable) Motorola StarTac. It had a horrible user interface, replete with up, down, and a middle button being used in all sorts of bizarre ways, especially when manipulating a phonebook. Being a geek, I figured it out and got it to work, but I had to comb through the book several times. I saw countless people's StarTacs not programmed optimally. Many modern cell phones are much easier to use, but people get used to one interface and refuse to learn others, calling them "complicated", unless they have a compelling reason to. People used to complain about fax machines all the time in the early days; now everyone uses one without second thought.

What's your take and/or experience with newer devices?

Old 01-27-2004, 05:59 AM
felixdd
Philosopher
Send a message via ICQ to felixdd Send a message via AIM to felixdd Send a message via MSN to felixdd Send a message via Yahoo to felixdd

I'm having a similar problem -- I'm having trouble figuring out the ins-and-outs of my Motorola MPx200 smartphone. Granted it's got its quirks, but I'm still having a hard time figuring out certain things (i.e. how to toggle to T9 instead of abc-input).

I do agree on one thing though -- I've gotten used to the Windows layout and UI and now I'm "lazy" to the point of "adverse" towards trying out new ways of doing things, and I'm only in college. For those that are older, I can see how it can be worse....

Old 01-27-2004, 06:53 AM
klinux
Sage
Send a message via MSN to klinux

iPod. Powerful and simple.

Nokia 3650. Powerful but very complicated.

Old 01-27-2004, 08:51 AM
andrei
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinux
Nokia 3650. Powerful but very complicated.
I wouldn't go as far as calling Nokia 3650 powerful. Complicated, yes, but not powerful

Old 01-27-2004, 09:21 AM
WillyG
Intellectual
Default Re: New Tech Gadgets Get Tougher To Operate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
"...people get used to one interface and refuse to learn others, calling them "complicated
Now, where have i heard that before? :roll:

Old 01-27-2004, 10:30 AM
PR.
Theorist

Quote:
People used to complain about fax machines all the time in the early days; now everyone uses one without second thought.
Heh, you reckon?

My desk is next to the office fax machine I'd say 70% of the people who use it have at least two tries to send a fax, I often wonder if there is some hidden pong game in it

But its true people don't take the time to learn what they are using, I was in a training course a few weeks ago and while I sat there whizzing around my computer others wasted hours of the trainers time with him simply explaining the difference between double and single clicks :roll:

Old 01-27-2004, 12:46 PM
cessquill
Ponderer

OK, you need a fundamental foundation of knowledge to be able to use something (as mentioned - double clicks, drag and click, etc.), but that doesn't excuse bad or ill thought out design.

Some people treat anything that isn't a Nokia mobile phone as confusing. I took the plunge and moved away from Nokia and realised just how bad some user interfaces could be. Inconsistent was the worst culprit, where text entry would be different depending on which view you were in. You make an interface consistent, you give them less to remember, you make it easier to use.

Logical interfaces also follow the same formula, but what's logical to one person may not be logical to another, so it's always open to interpretation.

A lot of this, I think, is due to consumer demand. Products hit the shelves before they are really ready in a rush to get purchased. Couple this with the fact that it's inherantly hard to design a user interface for an new and evolving section of technology (colour screens, cameras, etc., etc.), and you're not only left with a manual that's far too long for its own good, but badly written (because of the rush to get product out on the shelves, etc...).

That said, I've not seen the latest wave of peripherals, but it would seem that the more you cram into it, the more you've got to focus on interface design.

Old 01-27-2004, 03:01 PM
Bill Gunn
Ponderer
Default Re: New Tech Gadgets Get Tougher To Operate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
"Here's a simple example: the toughest cell phone I've ever had to use was the (now veritable) Motorola StarTac.
"veritable" ?

Old 01-27-2004, 03:11 PM
felixdd
Philosopher
Send a message via ICQ to felixdd Send a message via AIM to felixdd Send a message via MSN to felixdd Send a message via Yahoo to felixdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessquill
OK, you need a fundamental foundation of knowledge Logical interfaces also follow the same formula, but what's logical to one person may not be logical to another, so it's always open to interpretation.
Yeah, that's a biggie. I've not jumped and tried a PalmOS device (hey, see what the enemy is up to right? ) because I don't really understand the way their OS works. Whereaas for PPC2003 you see a clear hierarchy of features (start -> programs -> blablabla), it seems more like a web for the Palm -- but what about the menus? When do I know I'm accessing the Palm OS's base menu, and when do I know I'm accessing a program's menu? This is the same for some other OS's that I've used, like my university's distribution of linux -- I just don't get it.

Old 01-27-2004, 03:36 PM
rdrose61
Pupil

I think that the digital UI vs. analog knobs and switches is a generational thing. Those over 30, except us geeky technical types, have trouble with the logic of device controls. Younger people, especially kids, who know nothing else in their lifetime I find have no problem with various and quirky UIs.

My kids, 9 and 13, have no trouble figuring out our various family toys (computers, MP3 players, PDAs, cell phones, digital cameras, networks, DVRs, remotes, etc...). On the other hand, my wife who is the typical of the average technically challenged, usually just gives up and asks one of us.