Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 01-20-2004, 06:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Microsoft Lawyers Threaten 17-year old Mike Rowe

http://www.theregister.com/content/6/34955.html

"In what could easily be mistaken for an Onion story, Microsoft has unleashed the full fury of its lawyers on 17-year-old Canadian high-school student, Mike Rowe, demanding the handover of his Internet domain. The domain? MikeRoweSoft.com. No, seriously. Victoria-based Mike is currently studying maths and chemistry and plans to study computer science at Victoria University next year. He registered the domain in August because he thought it would be cool to have a site that sounded like the famous company to show his Web designing skills..."

I'm a pretty big fan of Microsoft, and I dislike the mindless Microsoft bashing I often see, but this is utterly insane and Microsoft Canada should be ashamed of what they're doing. :devilboy:

Old 01-20-2004, 06:13 AM
Jeff Rutledge
Moderator Emeritus

That is insane. It's not like he's squatting.

I agree with you completely that Microsoft should be ashamed. Who decides this stuff?!?!

Old 01-20-2004, 06:15 AM
dmacburry2003
Philosopher

Doesn't it have to be the EXACT name to violate copyright?

Old 01-20-2004, 06:19 AM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

What?!!? Didn't you hear? Its open season on suing everyone and their mother. Jason you'll be hearing from my lawyer because your name starts with J as does mine. coincidence? I think NOT!

Oh and add me to the insane vote.
Seriously. What did you expect? This is the same company that went after Lindows for their name. :roll: Admittedly different ballpark. Same game. Then again there was the Palm Inc domain name slapdown a few years ago so....

Old 01-20-2004, 06:22 AM
dmacburry2003
Philosopher

I'm going to invent a laundry detergent called MightySoft and clean Microsoft's act up with it :lol:

Edit: And I won't give a crap if the sue me :twisted:

Edit: Or my momma :wink:

Old 01-20-2004, 06:26 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacburry2003
Doesn't it have to be the EXACT name to violate copyright?
Not really - there are many cases of 'near spellings' trying to pass off for the real thing. Copyright is a difffernt matter from Domain disputes.

Lindows is differnt. Come on - don't tell me they aren't *trying* to make the connection with Windows. :roll:

Old 01-20-2004, 06:34 AM
Dave Beauvais
Pontificator

I think the worst thing is that when huge corporations such as Microsoft go after the "little guy," they will almost always win by default. Who really has the money to fight a serious legal battle against Microsoft. If I had to choose giving up a domain name or going bankrupt fighting in the court system with Microsoft's highly-paid legal team, I'd have no choice but to give them what they want. I think the only thing this Mike Rowe has going for him is the outpouring of public support. It's really sad that it's often not who's right, but who has the most money.

Old 01-20-2004, 06:45 AM
jeasher
Intellectual

Go Mike go!

Old 01-20-2004, 06:49 AM
guinness
Intellectual

Microsoft would be better off spending that money on fixing the WM2003 alarm bug rather than on lawyers.

Old 01-20-2004, 06:51 AM
dmacburry2003
Philosopher

Totally agree with guinness!

Oh, watch out, that World Records company might try to sue you :roll: