Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 01-08-2004, 01:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Grumble...Grumble...Come on Dell Canada! Get With The Program!

Just a little rant: for the past three months or so, I've been calling Dell Canada every couple of weeks, trying to order the Windows Mobile 2003 upgrade for my Axim X5. Every time I call, I get told "it should be out in about two weeks". And of course, it's not. :evil: Any other Dell Axim X5 owners in Canada getting tired of this treatment? Why is it so hard for Dell to press a few CDs? It's not rocket science, and the build that fixes the slowdown glitch has been released in the US for months. What gives?

Old 01-08-2004, 01:59 AM
Deralict
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to Deralict

Jason,

I started calling every couple of weeks last August, and gave up in October, when I finally out of frustration just installed the "illegal" hacked WM2003 upgrade (which works great BTW) that was floating around on Kazaa.

I really wanted to but it and do it legit, but after the umpteenth "it should be ready in a couple of weeks", I said to hell with that.

Old 01-08-2004, 02:06 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

8O That's pretty bad. I though it was not good that the UK was a month behind the US in getting the update out, but this is ridiculous!

What�s your take on the moral implications of installing the update on now, and buying it later when it�s actually available? :?:

I was going to do so with the UK X5 2003 update, but decided to wait as it would only be a few weeks. But if it had been three months�.. :?
!

Old 01-08-2004, 02:40 AM
Richard OKane
Pupil

I hear ya...this sucks!
Then again I don't know how much of my h/w accessories will work with it so a little extra time may be good so that I can get the right drivers.

Old 01-08-2004, 05:14 AM
larryh
Neophyte

Yup...know exactly what you mean, if this software is available south of the 49th - why can't we get it up here??? I thought Free Trade was supposed to benefit us Canadians too!!!!!! :devilboy:

Maybe I'll have to get a friend south of the line order a copy and send it up to me - one possible means of getting past Dell Canada's lack of support

Old 01-08-2004, 04:41 PM
GoldKey
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDA Gerbil
What�s your take on the moral implications of installing the update on now, and buying it later when it�s actually available? :?:
I think it is probably morally ok even though it is legally wrong.

Old 01-08-2004, 07:00 PM
Thefo
Ponderer

I'm pretty disgusted with their lame excuse's too Jason...I even know one of the sales reps direct extension and email address and he says he's quite embarressed to be answering any questions regarding this topic.

:evil:

Old 01-08-2004, 11:49 PM
Noghri_ViR
Pupil

I hate to say it but download the illegal one and install it. Don't cancel your order or anything, just wait for the cd to come. That way you have WM2003 right now, yet you still feel good about it because you know you paid for it.

Old 01-08-2004, 11:56 PM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Okay, I can see this turning into a discussion of shades of grey. Let's PLEASE not turn this into a warez-type discussion.

Old 01-09-2004, 01:01 AM
Thinkingmandavid
Pontificator
Send a message via ICQ to Thinkingmandavid Send a message via Yahoo to Thinkingmandavid

I did not realize that in Canada there was a problem getting WM2003 for Dell. I had assumed because Dell was considered a good company that they were on top of this need as well.

Concerning the Warez as Kati mentioned, to many opinions and differences in morality so it will only lead to a circle and not everything agreed upon.