Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 01-07-2004, 04:30 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default People Want Simple PDAs?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/68/34738.html

"Handheld vendors are repeatedly making mistakes by targeting the upper-end of the market, according to Jupiter Research. The market for handheld PDAs is likely to remain flat so long as vendors mistakenly believe that consumers want convergent devices, Michael Gartenberg, research director at the analyst firm, argues."

I'm not sure I agree with this. First off, the margins on low-end PDAs are often so low as to make them non-profitable. Second, "convergence" is, in many cases, more just generalization of what a PDA is. This becomes more and more possible as ICs get smaller, faster, and integrate more functions. For example, I can't imagine a PDA without multimedia capabilities today. I might not use it for playing music, but what about games, reminders or voice-driven applications?

Old 01-07-2004, 04:56 PM
rlobrecht
Thinker

A normal person isn't going to carry a PDA, no matter how simple. I think you will start to see normal people using the contacts, tasks, and appointments features in smarter phones (as long as there is an easy way to get the data in, such as syncing with Outlook.)

And by normal, I mean Joe average non-technical user. Not a gadget loving geek.

Old 01-07-2004, 05:15 PM
Thinkingmandavid
Pontificator
Send a message via ICQ to Thinkingmandavid Send a message via Yahoo to Thinkingmandavid

I disagree. I know at best buy people come in everyday wanting info ona pda.
They tell the basic needs, contacts, appoinments, notes,etc.
When they are told the other stuff it will do in adidition to what they are wanting, they like that.
A Tungsten e or a 19xx series sells best for these customers. It is affordable and it gives them the opportunity to grow into their pda. I always tell people who are going to buy a pda, do not think just on what your needs are today, but think about what your needs will be in six months.
The two Palm and HP I mentioned are good for people to grow into and they are not difficult to use, and both are great matches to the capabilities of using Outlook.
It is about knowing how to explain the value of a pda to people, when they see how you use yours it helps to enlighten them.

Old 01-07-2004, 05:48 PM
kaiden.1
Ponderer
Send a message via Yahoo to kaiden.1
Default Simple is Good

I agree. People want things to be simple. That does not automatically mean "Cheap" PDA's. I think people want things to work and the "simple" thing that they are referring to here is they want the device to be easy to use. Simple software to operate that works good without troubles.

In all of my PDA experience, there are a lot of programs out there that seem to need an expert to tweek them so that they work better. The more complicated things get the more frustrated people get, and then they walk away with a bad taste in their mouth.

I am all for SIMPLE, SIMPLE, SIMPLE!!!! It can still be simple and yet do many wonderful things too! 8)

Old 01-07-2004, 05:57 PM
Jeff Rutledge
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
"The best of everything cannot yet be fitted into one device. Consumers are willing to carry up to three devices and vendors are repeatedly missing market opportunities by thinking that consumers want high end to devices. People are not looking for media players in their handhelds. They are interested in the lower end of the market," he said.
I don't agree with this at all. First, consumers may be willing to carry up to three devices, but I'm sure any of them would pay to have one device that did it all.

Second, if consumers aren't interested in media players, etc. and want a low-end device, then those little Sharp organizers would still be top sellers. 8)

Old 01-07-2004, 06:03 PM
fixerdude
Pupil

Yes! Yes! I find my iPAQ 2200 to be very cumbersome sometimes. I would like to use something simple to quickly record an appointment or note and trigger the alarm RELIABLY. Just like my old Palm IIIxe. 8O

Old 01-07-2004, 06:06 PM
DubWireless
Intellectual

Quote:
Handheld vendors are repeatedly making mistakes by targeting the upper-end of the market
palm zire did pretty well didn't it?

Quote:
the margins on low-end PDAs are often so low as to make them non-profitable
volume of sales?

Old 01-07-2004, 06:08 PM
GoldKey
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR
Second, if consumers aren't interested in media players, etc. and want a low-end device, then those little Sharp organizers would still be top sellers. 8)
Funny thing, I was in a meeting yesterday and saw the head of a procurement department pull out a sharp organizer. It was the clamshell design with the sep numeric keypad to the right of the screen. I thought this was pretty funny as I had the same type of device 15 years ago. But I was jelous of the clamshell design and the built in keyboard.

Old 01-07-2004, 06:14 PM
gorkon280
Philosopher
Default I somewhat disagree....

I think the ONE thing holsing more people back from buyign a PDA is the fact that PDA's can't run software that their desktop/laptop runs. Sure, the calendarign thing is part of the PDA and always will be, but when they see the prices of 1 GB CF cards, they get disappointed. Sure their new PDA can do all of this stuff, but where are they going to store it? By the time they spedn money on storage, they already would have paid for a small laptop. One thing will swing this.....ultra cheap, ultra low powered hard drives. IBM had a winner, but 1 GB is even getting a bit small. Now Cornice has a 2 GB deviice with larger devices in the pipe. If corncie does it right, they could beat out CF in the price per MB battle. Once this happens, watch out! PDA's will boom again because you will get home users and corporations wanting to use these small devices where you just can fit a laptop. PDA based naivigation with the complete map on a 2 GB microdrive, all of those things PLUS all of the typical PDA things make it a winner. With prices all heading the right direction on this stuff, I would not be surprised to see the following for a "low" end device:

400 MHz (or faster) Xscale
256 MB Ram
64 MB FlashROM
4 inch screen weith 480x640 resolution (or higher with OLED)
Integrated WiFi G and possibly BT

All of the above for a tidy price of 200 bucks. It IS possible. The next step above could add a Microdrive of sorts and only add 100 bucks. That person wanting the simple PDA may figure they may as well go for the one with the hard drive since it's only 100 more.

Old 01-07-2004, 06:22 PM
Jeff Rutledge
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR
Funny thing, I was in a meeting yesterday and saw the head of a procurement department pull out a sharp organizer. It was the clamshell design with the sep numeric keypad to the right of the screen. I thought this was pretty funny as I had the same type of device 15 years ago. But I was jelous of the clamshell design and the built in keyboard.
That is funny. And a little sad I guess (that we're jealous of 15-year old features). I guess the same thing can be said of the fond memories many have for the Newton eh?