Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 12-18-2003, 10:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Concise Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia

http://revolution.cx/enc/Pocket-PC-...ncyclopedia.htm

"This edition of the Concise Columbia Encyclopedia has entries specifically written and selected for the short form nature of a quick reference guide. Not just the first paragraph of a longer entry but an edited and shortened version that gets the key points across as a pocket reference should. Conversely it also packs in the breadth and detail needed to form a reliable learning and reference source.

With nearly 17000 entries containing over a million words, from the main events of World War I to the Department of Homeland Security to biographic entries of pivotal historical figures, this comprehensive reference won't be found lacking. $24.99 through December 22nd only. This is the lowest price we can offer and is a substantial discount off of the regular price of $29.99. There is not a demo version available, but the familiar and award winning Lextionary engine is used to search and navigate the encyclopedia."

I'm an information junkie, so this seems like a very cool resource to me. :-)

UPDATE: Subscribers can get this program for $21.99 until Sunday the 21st. Check the discounts page for more details!

Old 12-18-2003, 10:19 PM
revolution.cx
Intellectual

Yes, no demo is a bummer but we are contractually limited from issuing one at this time.

There are a lot of screenshots on our site to give you a good look at the product and we are more than happy to answer any questions, just ask here or email us at [email protected]

Old 12-18-2003, 11:16 PM
arebelspy
Theorist
Send a message via AIM to arebelspy

I love having the whole wikipedia on my pocket pc: http://members.chello.nl/epzachte/Wikipedia/

It's about 180 MB or so (390 MB worth of text compressed into 180MB.. and there is a smaller version available as well released last July), but well worth it if you have a 512MB SD card. The reason why I like it: it has things a normal encyclopedia wouldn't have. For example I looked up The Goonies (1980s movie) and it told me a summary, gave links to all the actors, etc. (within the encyclopedia - not online links, although it has external links too). I learned "sam" from the LOTR movies was one of the kids, that for "chunk" (remember the truffle shuffle?) he never did any other acting, but he played football and lost some weight and now is a lawyer in LA, etc. etc. So much random info a real encyclopedia wouldn't have.

I looked up "anakin solo" (han's kid in "star wars").. they had it. It's got everything you could think of, I love it.

Go to www.wikipedia.com to see the real thing (the linked one above is just compressed into TomeRaider format for the PPC)

Sometimes I'll read it like a book, enter in random search terms (author "piers anthony" or something) and follow links around and just read it, it's fun. </dork>

-arebelspy

Old 12-19-2003, 12:02 AM
captgoodhope
Ponderer

Just bought and installed this. Very nice! and fast.

Old 12-19-2003, 12:31 AM
jlong4
Neophyte

How much space does this take up and can it be stored on a card...or does it have to go on main memory? It does look interesting, might have to try it out.

thanks...

Old 12-19-2003, 12:32 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlong4
How much space does this take up and can it be stored on a card...or does it have to go on main memory? It does look interesting, might have to try it out.

thanks...
It can be stored on a card, and I think it takes up about 7 MB....?

Old 12-19-2003, 01:09 AM
shawnc
Pontificator

The timing of this couldn't be better. I was about to purchase the World Encyclopedia 2003 for MS Reader. I'm not sure which one I'll try, but I'll do some digging and decide within the next couple of days.

Anyone have any experience with either of these products?

Old 12-19-2003, 01:34 AM
SirOops
Neophyte

Wikipedia screenshots

TomeRaider needed ($25). Encyclopedia is free. 180,000 articles.
Version in English French German Esperanto and Dutch.

Old 12-19-2003, 04:19 AM
tsb_hcy
Intellectual

I agree, Wikipedia is the only option. Everything else is too vague.

Old 12-19-2003, 07:09 AM
trapper
Pupil

Quote:
Wikipedia screenshots
SirOops - Are math symbols and expressions better supported now? In previous versions many equations wouldn't display properly. The range and detail of the content in Wikipedia is amazing however.