Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 12-18-2003, 10:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default By Using Handhelds, Doctors Can Save Lives and Money

http://www.brighthand.com/article/S..._from_Handhelds

"More than half the doctors in the United States use handhelds, and among residents and students the percentage is even greater. A new survey of more than 900 doctors who use handheld computers shows significant results about doctors' increasing reliance on their handhelds and their impact on daily activities. More than 85% of the survey respondents pointed to handhelds as helping to reduce the number of medical errors, with more than 50% of doctors indicating handheld use reduces their medical errors by more than 4% or 5%."

Old 12-18-2003, 05:23 PM
Dr. Grabow
Pupil

All the statistics in that story seem to mirror my experience, even in a smaller city out in the West.

Regarding the last one -

"Less than 10% of medical professionals have their handheld software integrated with the larger hospital IT enterprise, signifying an area where there is still room for significant growth. "

Can't imagine why I'd want my handheld "integrated with the larger hospital IT enterprise" except to check lab results, vital signs, radiology results, etc., but with a computer and flat screen monitor in every patient room, and multiple units at every nurses station, and with HIPAA concerns about taking patient information out of the hospital on your handheld, that's probably not going to happen unless you're a captive hospital physician employee.

Old 12-19-2003, 12:24 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

I wonder what the percentage is in Canada. My doctor doesn't use one but Interior Health (the local health authority, covering a fair chunk of Southern BC) does have a wireless network.