Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 11-23-2003, 10:15 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default GpsPasSion Reviews The Fortuna Bluetooth GPS Receiver

http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=72

There's been a lot of interest about Bluetooth GPS receivers, although I've heard a fair number of gripes about battery life. Well, here's a fairly unique solution: build a receiver that uses cell phone-style batteries! GpsPasSion takes a look and likes what it finds.

"The Clip-On breaks new ground with its power source. Up to now, Bluetooth receivers used non removable Lithium-Ion batteries or AAA rechargeable batteries (see the "Battery" page of the "Bluetooth GPS Shoot-Out"). The size and weight advantage of the Li-Ion batteries coming at the price of limited autonomy (recharging required between uses) and most importantly an uncertain battery life expectancy (replacement of the battery difficult and costly). The Clip-On makes things easy by using a powerful and standard (Nokia type series 8xxx phones *) removable Li-Polymer battery of 1,200mAh, easily replaceable for optional increased autonomy (using several batteries) and/or easy replacement when the original battery no longer holds the charge."

Old 11-24-2003, 12:14 AM
bibap
Ponderer

I use one of these suckers, and it has performed perfectly with my Socket Bluetooth card on both my Ipaq 3955 and Toshiba e755.

One neat use I found, for excersizing, was to get a program called Navio (www.tinystocks.com) which is the only one I found that does average speed. I put the GPS in my pocket and the PPC on my belt and use Navio to tell me how far, and at what average speed, I walked.

Even in ST mode the GPS is quite sensitive and can easily reside in a backpack or pocket. It also transmits through 2 rooms in my house, which has plaster lathe construction and so is hell on radio waves.