Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 11-20-2003, 11:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default A 'Brain Charger': The Ultimate PDA Accessory?

http://news.com.com/2100-1121-5109628.html

"For those cynics who said nothing new would be unveiled at Comdex, South Korean start-up DreamFree counters with the Peeg, a peripheral for PDAs that is said to stimulate brain activity. Peeg, short for "personal electroencephalogram," is designed to stimulate different types of brain waves by sending positive waves to the wearer, said Joonon Moon, a director in the planning department at Seoul-based DreamFree. Company literature says Peeg is the "world's best mobile digital brain charger."

The Peeg consists of a software application for Microsoft Pocket PC, headphones and a set of silver eyeglasses that look like the sort of thing triathletes wear. The lenses are made of opaque plastic. When the PDA application is set on "concentration," rhythmic pinging sounds are heard in the earphones while lights flash off and on inside the glasses. Users close their eyes, so they only faintly perceive the light pulses. The frequency of the pings and the lights are meant to be synchronized so that they induce brain waves of the same frequency. By altering brain wave frequencies, Peeg can alter moods, Moon said."

Looks goofy, but if it works, this might be something I need to get my hands on. My brain feels tired a lot. :-)

Old 11-20-2003, 11:26 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

It's Lt. Jordi LaForge! 8O

Old 11-20-2003, 11:40 PM
KAMware
Ponderer

Krap like this has been around for years! They have just connected to a PocketPC and chaged more for it.

You can build the same thing with a few dollars of parts from Radio Shack.

Why is all this hookey stuff showing up again? :roll:

Old 11-20-2003, 11:53 PM
MaximumPDA
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to MaximumPDA

Yeah, I actually have one of the original units in a box somewhere. There are a bunch of settings you adjust by punching in a code that come from a book and each number relates to a setting like "better sleep", brain stimulator", 15 nap invigorator", etc. It would play �delta� or �theta� waves via headphones if I remember correctly or you could hook up a walkman and the LEDS mounted in the glasses would pulse with the sounds and are supposed to induce the setting you have punched in.

As I recall, they were kind of cool, and relaxing, an aid to mediation at best. This looks like they have attached the glasses part to a PocketPC instead of the black box.

Old 11-21-2003, 12:32 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

I had an EEG once. I don't know if it detected any brain activity.

This sounds interesting for relaxation, except for the goofy-looking glasses. I wonder if this could be implemented using Subliminal Memory Glasses. Subliminal relaxation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumPDA
Yeah, I actually have one of the original units in a box somewhere. There are a bunch of settings you adjust by punching in a code that come from a book and each number relates to a setting like "better sleep", brain stimulator", 15 nap invigorator", etc. It would play �delta� or �theta� waves via headphones if I remember correct
How does it function using only one earphone? I have a good ear and a not-so-good ear.

Old 11-21-2003, 12:44 AM
cmchavez
Intellectual

Wonder if it can correct my astigmatism while its' working... 8O

Old 11-21-2003, 12:58 AM
Anthony Caruana
Sage

What if your Pocket PC locked up while you were using it :?:

Would your brian also freeze?

Old 11-21-2003, 01:43 AM
BugDude10
Theorist

Man, I could really use something like that while I'm driving...

Old 11-21-2003, 02:44 AM
MaximumPDA
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to MaximumPDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugDude10
Man, I could really use something like that while I'm driving...
I think half the people in Seattle are already

Old 11-21-2003, 05:48 AM
pocketpcfox
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to pocketpcfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamware
Krap like this has been around for years! They have just connected to a PocketPC and chaged more for it.

You can build the same thing with a few dollars of parts from Radio Shack.

Why is all this hookey stuff showing up again? :roll:
Ah, I see why... It's a Korean company. There is an entire industry based just on these kinds of devices to help students "learn" more efficiently. Essentially it is just a glorified relaxation device... with tons of testimonials from "scientific doctors". University entrance exams are unbelieveably competitive there... basically high school entails getting just four hours of sleep a night for these kids so I guess the device can be a kind of pressure release value.

I even saw one of these things marketed by a dodgy religious sect in Korea (I was covering it for my newspaper).