Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 11-17-2003, 12:00 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Sony Still Doesn't Get It With New CD Protection Scheme

http://money.cnn.com/2003/11/10/technology/sony.reut/index.htm

"Sony Music, home to such artists as Beyonce Knowles and Bruce Springsteen, said Monday it plans to introduce new CD technology in Germany that prevents users from copying songs to file-sharing sites, but allows them to make copies for their personal use."

Sounds OK so far, but here, the devil is in the details. :devilboy: Some new CDs will contain "a compressed digital copy of the music that can be quickly copied onto any computer. From the computer, users can copy that music onto Sony portable digital music players."

That's right. I'm sure the music is in some proprietary scheme that will require Sony software to play that will then allow transfer to Sony devices. I think not! One of the artists Sony is going to try this with is Tori Amos. I have every CD she has released in the US (well, not the ill fated "Y Kant Tori Read" before she figured out what she was good at) and some that were not released here. If her new CD is protected in this manner, it will be one CD I'll skip.

The solution to prevent copying lies in pricing. Any proprietary scheme that only allows copying/burning/playing within specific constraints is doomed to fail simply because in 5, 10 or 15 years, that software will no longer be available. I still enjoy listening to some of my first CDs and have even repurchased some tapes in CD format. 95% of what I listen to is either on my PC or Pocket PC. I'm not gambling $15 on music that may essentially expire on me in a few years when the copy protection scheme du jour is abandoned in favor of something else.

Old 11-17-2003, 12:04 AM
SandersP
Intellectual

I'll give the web 11 minutes to crack the protection scheme after the release. :roll:

Old 11-17-2003, 12:05 AM
hashish
Neophyte
Default I am sure Sony get it.

I am sure Sony get it.

They just don't care; or believe that the consumers don't care.

Your reasoning is right about not buying it; but someone will break the copy protection because by releasing it they are offering a challenge.

Old 11-17-2003, 12:07 AM
dean_shan
Mystic

This is doomed to fail because not everyone uses a Sony music player. And as Ed said, "What about PPC?".

Old 11-17-2003, 12:09 AM
Spiral
Pupil

There's pretty much no way to stop you from taking a recording from the output jack of a cd player. It's a bit of a nuisance, but I did it with one of my Avex cd-protected cd's just so I could listen to it through winamp on my whole playlist rather than their crappy propriety player that comes on the cd.

Old 11-17-2003, 12:37 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

:confused totally:

Of course Sony gets it.

$$$$$$$$$$

Old 11-17-2003, 02:10 AM
Jereboam
Philosopher

There is nothing that annoys me more than the restriction of choice. I take my digital music quite seriously, and this sort of behaviour takes away all the enjoyment of music, to the point (as Ed said above) where I will walk away from artists and record labels who employ these techniques.

Having pre-encoded digital music foisted on me by Sony is a big nono. For starters, it will undoubtedly be in some weirdo low-bitrate format that will be completely unacceptable even for casual listening. Will I be able to tag it correctly? Will any third party programs play it? Will it play on my iPod? And how much space are they taking away from the CD tracks themselves? Will the quality of the actual CD suffer because they've had to jam compressed copies on it too?

I suspect that only allowing it to be played on Sony players will be cutting it close to the legal wind, though? Maybe they will see sense and drop this nonsense before they've even started.

J'bm

Old 11-17-2003, 03:02 AM
Floodguy
Pupil

All Sony Vaio includes a software piece called "SonicStage".
This software allows the user to convert audio cds to the following output formats: ATRAC, ATRAC+, PCM and WMA. MP3 supported only for importing. If one has a SONY Digital- or Network(MD) player the software also can arrange Playlist and copy them directly to the device (MD, MemoryStick, RAM). If not, you have to copy your files manually to the device. :?
I have one of this stupid protected CD (my wife bought it by mistake cause she didn't know this) and you can copy it over to your SONY Player and to ant other WMA supported player, but I'm not able to make copy the CD itself. :cry:
Yes, and I agree with you all too, it a price question! To expensive!

Old 11-17-2003, 03:02 AM
heov
Thinker

but doesn't itunes music store have similar constraints? it seems to be well... really well actually.

Old 11-17-2003, 03:49 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by heov
but doesn't itunes music store have similar constraints? it seems to be well... really well actually.
I think iTunes allows CD burning, which then allows ripping. :?: