Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Thoughts Site Updates

Old 11-05-2003, 11:26 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Um...Oops. Banner Ads Gone Wild!

As many of you noticed, something a little...funny was going on with the site today. :roll: First off, I want to thank the number of you who emailed us to warn us about what was going on, the people who send me instant messages, and for the people who even contacted Westtek to find out what was going on. The fine people at Westtek are coming on board as site sponsors for both Smartphone Thoughts and Pocket PC Thoughts - they have a very cool series of ClearVue products, which no doubt more than a few of you saw today. :mrgreen: Here's what happened: they're using a Flash banner for their campaign, and our ad server requires the link to be embedded in a certain way. The latest ad they sent me had an auto-forwarding URL. I loaded it into the ad server, saw what it did (forwarded the browser session to the Westtek site), but didn't think it was activated on the site - guess what? It was! So every time the banner ad loaded, the person visiting the site was taken to the Westtek Web site. Oops! ops:

So there you have it - a banner bug compounded by a human error, and you get what happened this morning. A big thanks to Westtek to having a sense of humour about this, and to all of you for looking out for the best interests on Pocket PC Thoughts. You're a wonderful community!

Old 11-05-2003, 11:48 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default Re: Um...Oops. Banner Ads Gone Wild!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
A big thanks to Westtek to having a sense of humour about this, and to all of you for looking out for the best interests on Pocket PC Thoughts. You're a wonderful community!
I'm sure Westtek didn't mind the extra traffic. It's quite a funny bug though. :lol: These thing happen.

You just KNOW we would be all over you if something bad happened to PPCT! :mrgreen:

Old 11-05-2003, 11:52 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Re: Um...Oops. Banner Ads Gone Wild!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDA Gerbil
I'm sure Westtek didn't mind the extra traffic. It's quite a funny bug though. :lol: These thing happen.
Yeah, I'm waiting for an advertiser to ask me for the special "send all your visitors to our site" campaign. :lol:

Old 11-05-2003, 11:56 PM
GoldKey
Pontificator

Don't call it a bug, call it a new advertiser feature! :wink:

Old 11-06-2003, 12:00 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

You saw it here first! 8O

(Or rather you didn't see it as you were quickly redirected! :lol

Quick, patent it before Amazon! :wink:

(All your sites are belong to us!) :mrgreen:

Old 11-06-2003, 12:18 AM
JustinGTP
Mystic

Ha, I wondered what that was about.

Anyways, things happen, and Its great that you can laugh about it. LOL. :lol:

-Justin.

Old 11-06-2003, 12:24 AM
BevHoward
Intellectual

It's actually very nice... havn't had a single seizure since the flashing disappeared

Old 11-06-2003, 12:41 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevHoward
It's actually very nice... havn't had a single seizure since the flashing disappeared
It's not nice for those of us who have bills to pay Bev and rely on them as a source of income. However, you can become a subscriber and turn off all the ads if you wish. :wink:

Old 11-06-2003, 12:46 AM
David Prahl
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldkey
Don't call it a bug, call it a new advertiser feature! :wink:
Like Microsoft! :lol:

Old 11-06-2003, 01:57 AM
maximus
2000 Posts And This is All I Get?
Send a message via ICQ to maximus Send a message via MSN to maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
However, you can become a subscriber and turn off all the ads if you wish. :wink:
How do you turn off the ad in desktop mode ?