Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 11-04-2003, 11:58 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default "Sharp Unveils Prototype 300 PPI VGA Display" - MobileMag

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/102/C2196/

"According to EE Times, Sharp Electronics Japan has plans to meet consumers demands for next-generation mobile phones. Sharp has demonstrated a prototype of a 2.6-inch CG silicon panel with VGA resolution, or 300 pixels per inch resolution."

Hmm. 2.6 inch VGA screens. Now put that together with the recent news that Windows Mobile 2004 will support VGA resolution, and that earlier this year Microsoft relaxed OEM design restrictions and will allow smaller screens, down to either 2.6" or 2.8" (I can't seem to find the reference). It's important to understand what 300 ppi means - we're talking a display that is getting close to paper in terms of readability. Onward technology, onward!

Old 11-05-2003, 12:04 AM
Deslock
Thinker

Looks very cool! PDA technology keeps getting better and better...

BTW, this was posted almost a week ago at Brighthand... there's 4 pages of posts on it over there:
http://discussion.brighthand.com/sho...threadid=93099

Old 11-05-2003, 12:19 AM
MooseMaster
Ponderer

Same with PocketMatrix.

I never thought that PocketPCThoughts would be the last to get the news! 8O

Old 11-05-2003, 12:59 AM
moaske
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to moaske Send a message via Yahoo to moaske

Hmmmm....i wonder....
Will PDA's and phones with a screen like this come supplied with a magnifying glass ? :wink:
And as for 300ppi: i work in a photostore where i do the minilab printing, and that machine prints @ 300ppi !!! So were actually talking photo/picture quality here 8O

Edit: what will they think of using as a pointing device for this ? A stylus would probably activate a dozen pixels i guess :|

Old 11-05-2003, 01:01 AM
JustinGTP
Mystic

Wholy moly! That is so cool, and is that MS Excell I see on there? That is so neat, but so tiny, Im going to need some high power glasses for that. I love technology

-Justin.

Old 11-05-2003, 01:10 AM
crazy0000
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to crazy0000

Woah and see how close it is to the edge of the screen you could take any pocket pc out there right now and put that type in it and have an extra inch of screen 8O 8O 8O 8O

Old 11-05-2003, 01:43 AM
bikeman
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaske
And as for 300ppi: i work in a photostore where i do the minilab printing, and that machine prints @ 300ppi !!! So were actually talking photo/picture quality here
What kind of printers are you using? Most professional photos and posters are printed using dye sublimation printers at 300 dots per inch (dpi), but that is a very different sort of technology than an inkjet printer at 300 dpi. The dye sub printers use a thermal print head, consisting of thousands of heating elements, capable of precise temperature variations. Heat from the heating elements cause the color on the ribbon to vaporize and diffuse onto the surface of specially coated paper. Precise temperature variations are responsible for the varying densities of color. The hotter the heating element, the more dye is vaporized and diffused onto the paper's surface. These printers will blow away any inkjet printer set at 300 dpi.

On a display, 300 pixels per inch (ppi) looks great. But it also looks mighty small.

Old 11-05-2003, 01:56 AM
MaximumPDA
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to MaximumPDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaske
Hmmmm....i wonder....
Will PDA's and phones with a screen like this come supplied with a magnifying glass ? :wink:
What you would do is set your text and icons to "very large" like in Windows XP. With the high level of detail you would get a very relaxing to the eye image and easy to read text. Just like paper or a PDF document on a high quality screen.

At Comdex last year I got to play with the Sharp Zuarus Linux PDA with the clamshell/keyboard design and I must say that it was a huge eye relief just looking at the screen. It�s hard to describe the feeling of looking at the screen but all I know is that I was reluctant to go back my XDA screen.

Old 11-05-2003, 01:58 AM
ShivShanks
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda_Civic_Si
Wholy moly! That is so cool, and is that MS Excell I see on there?
Yeah it is Excel but I wonder why they are using Excel 95?! After all that was the last version of Office with the raised 3D like toolbar buttons as is evident on that screen. You'd think that for all that cool technology they'd be able to afford a later version of Office?

Old 11-05-2003, 02:03 AM
LarDude
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivShanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda_Civic_Si
Wholy moly! That is so cool, and is that MS Excell I see on there?
Yeah it is Excel but I wonder why they are using Excel 95?! After all that was the last version of Office with the raised 3D like toolbar buttons as is evident on that screen. You'd think that for all that cool technology they'd be able to afford a later version of Office?
They can't afford it. They spent all their money on the cool screen.