Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 11-04-2003, 11:15 AM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default Future of Pocket PC

http://radio.weblogs.com/0117167/20...10/31.html#a512

Various reports from the PDC conference are starting to emerge on the Internet. You can find one that will interest you below. I believe the person who shouted "NONE!" needs to revisit Microsoft's mission statement, check out the latest market share reports and perhaps take a quick look at hp's mobile business revenue reports. I do hope that Tablet PCs and Smartphones will do very well, but I realize that one does not fit all. I am confident that data centric, wireless handheld devices will play a major role in many scenarios tomorrow as they do today.

The future of Pocket PC? BRIGHT!

"Computing on the beach: Visions of Mobility
This was a very interesting panel discussion. The panel was comprised of folks from various MS product groups, MS Research, and the CTO of Acer was also in attendance. The main theme of the panel discussion was on how to advance mobile computing. The first question was one from the pdcblogger alias. The question was what the future of the Pocket PC is. Almost immediately one of the MS folks yells out NONE!. For the next 3 minutes the panel members (after removing the look of oh crap from their faces) spent their time backing off of that statement. But the laughter in the room and the force of the original reply left little doubt that the SmartPhone and the Tablet PC are going to squeeze the Pocket PC device into a very, very small niche market. As matter of fact the person from MS Research even said he didn�t think it was viable unless Pocket PCs were priced at $100.00 to $150.00."

Old 11-04-2003, 12:10 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

Well let�s see.
I can�t carry a tablet in my pocket so that�s out, and a smartphone is too small, too limiting on data manipulation, and even with a high res screen (talk about squinting) can only hold so much data on one screen. So where does that leave me. :roll: I think the only reason you get people saying that the PPC is dead, or will be dead, is because they are rooting for the other team that and Bill Gates has a major woody for the tablet pc at this point. He�s been pushing it since when? Early 80�s with Pen computing?

Old 11-04-2003, 01:00 PM
PR.
Theorist

Hmmm 8O

I kind of see their thinking on this, people who want PDA features on the move go for the SmartPhone. The people who want more get the Tablet, the problem though is:

a) I find the iPAQ screen border lines on being too small, the smartphone screen IS too small
b) The tablet devices come in at �1500 more than a laptop, and it its running a proper XP so apps running on them are not designed to take advantage of the Tablets features, or optimised to run on their wimpy Crusoe CPUs

Personally I still feel that the Phone and seperate PDA is a better solution that an all in one

Old 11-04-2003, 01:17 PM
adamz
Thinker

Maybe they were talking about the the future of the Pocket PC, but not the Pocket PC Phone Edition. I can see Phone Edition taking over. Although, if they can make Tablet PCs the size of an iPAQ (with a better GUI), that would be okay too.
I agree that smartphones are too small. I love having a larger 3.5-4" screen to write on.

Old 11-04-2003, 01:43 PM
Skoobouy
Theorist
Send a message via AIM to Skoobouy

I don't like this business one bit. There is nothing that would work for me as well as a good Pocket PC. Aren't these people listening to PPC owners? Don't they see the Toshiba e805 and the HUGE new window of potential opened by VGA screens? Don't they see the benefit of diversification?

Since last year, my college went from no PDAs to ten of 'em--a Toshiba e310, Palm V, Visor Platinum, Treo 90, Zire 71, HandEra 330, two iPaq 1935s, a Viewsonic V35, and a Palm m500. People want their PDAs, goshdarnit, and if those sticks in the mud can't see that then Pa1m will just have to be the leader again. :roll:

Old 11-04-2003, 01:48 PM
DanielTS
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz
Although, if they can make Tablet PCs the size of an iPAQ (with a better GUI), that would be okay too.
+1

Size is primordial. In the future, we'll have a supercomputer in our pocket.

Old 11-04-2003, 02:52 PM
Stik
Theorist
Default Re: Future of Pocket PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sjostrom
The main theme of the panel discussion was on how to advance mobile computing. The first question was one from the pdcblogger alias. The question was what the future of the Pocket PC is. Almost immediately one of the MS folks yells out NONE!.
With friends like this at Microsoft, who needs enemies? Even if the reply was meant in jest, I fail to find the humor. Really a stupid thing to blurt out when the theme of discussion was how to ADVANCE mobile computing.

Grrrrrr.... 8O

Old 11-04-2003, 02:54 PM
Jimmy Dodd
Sage

I think a lot of the internal MS sniping at the Pocket PC is due to the lack of acceptance of the Tablet PC and the struggles to get a Smart Phone out the door. A lot of people have bet their reputations on these things and they don't seem to be flying off the shelves (the Tablet PC, at least; too soon to tell for the Smart Phone). I have actually never seen anyone use a Tablet PC outside of a demo. They are kind of neat, but too expensive, too underpowered, and too big for constant portage. I'll lug around my full featured notebook for the big stuff and tote around my iPAQ for the everyday stuff, thank you very much.

MS should remember that if they were to pull support of the PPC most of us would move to a Palm, not a Tablet PC. :roll:

Old 11-04-2003, 03:01 PM
SandersP
Intellectual

Gimme a break, tablet PC is total loser. It's too expensive and not convinient at all. I might consider it seriously if it is $600, not $2-3000.

Now PPC might be dead, but hey isn't that what phone edition is for? Personally if there is anything that will kill PPC entirely, it's microsoft PPC development team. They are not responsive, doesn't push the envelop of hardware technology, slow in patching problem..... all in all downright unresponsive and too conservative. That's what will kill PPC, not smartphone.

1. fix screen flexibility. (This should have been addressed a year ago)
2. provide patch and clear upgrade policy to devices (not one of those up to OEM BS)
3. Always two steps ahead of competitor, specially in high end model. (yes that means out innovate Sony's hardware. Again, no 'it's up to OEM' excuse')
4. Address low end model and create better gaming environment for PPC (DX for PPC is a good start)
5.Unified the paltform. (WTF is handPC CE.net? And what on earth is .net phone?)
6. CF .net is not going anywhere. It needs steroid boost.
7. Time to do serious marketing for PPC. It has almost none. pathetic!
8. Basic sub $180 device!
9. WiFi and BT applications are weak. (again, no 'it's up to developer' excuse. Figure out a way to liven up the scene)

Basically PPC team need to bring PPC a little to the edge of consumer electronic instead of sticking too hard on 'little computer' concept. Figure out away to push the envelop without breaking too many UI compatibilities.

The world doesn't need another me-too h2210 clone model, but I sure as hell can use iPOD like device, smart digicam, rugged GPS/hiking gear, gaming PDA, multimedia gadet, etc...

Old 11-04-2003, 03:02 PM
xbalance
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Dodd
MS should remember that if they were to pull support of the PPC most of us would move to a Palm, not a Tablet PC. :roll:
My thoughts exactly.