Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 10-23-2003, 08:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Toshiba News Roundup

It looks like Toshiba is officially releasing their new Pocket PCs today. The Register has information on the release of the e805 and the French site Mobi-Mania.com has a review (a fairly mediocre English translation is here). CNET, in the meantime, reviewed the e405, and they like it, although they point out it's not that different from the e355.

Updates:
  • Toshiba has updated their product pages.
  • For those of you who are curious about the 480x640 screen in PIE, Jenneth posted about a PDAFrance article with some fantastic screenshots. Since their site is a little slow, I've linked one illustrative shot here. Click on the image for a larger version.

Old 10-23-2003, 08:36 PM
peppzilla
Pupil

Sweet! Just imagine the image quality. That screen would be awesome for photographs. Perhaps the text would be a bit small, but still readable. Again, just 8O .

Old 10-23-2003, 08:40 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

I believe the PDAFrance article has a screenshot with a picture; take a look.

--janak

Old 10-23-2003, 08:41 PM
andydempsey
Pupil

Damn. Want one :D .
Damn. Can't afford one :(

Old 10-23-2003, 08:47 PM
animlmed
Ponderer

Remember, it's a Toshiba. It might be nice, but don't expect it to be supported in 6 months!

Old 10-23-2003, 09:08 PM
powder2000
Thinker

I wonder if it supports this resolution for pocket word and excel. I would definitely consider it if it did. I think most people were wondering if it supported pie and it does. Toshiba might do alright with this one.

Old 10-23-2003, 09:15 PM
IpaqMan2
Theorist

Wow......
This is nice.....
I have been hoping Microsoft would of pushed the benchmark up a little higher and support a higher resolution on PPCs... But Microsoft just seems to be in other places but the PPC.

I think it's great to see an OEM make such a bold move like this. Hopefully this will create a stirr amongst other OEMs and will see some new device packing this type of res and more.

Now..... If Microsoft or other OEMs would implement Landscape mode with this kind of Res...That would be sweet.

Old 10-23-2003, 09:20 PM
huangzhinong
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by powder2000
I wonder if it supports this resolution for pocket word and excel. I would definitely consider it if it did. I think most people were wondering if it supported pie and it does. Toshiba might do alright with this one.
Yes, so far, below apps have been confirmed working in 480*640
Pocket IE
Pocket Word
Pocket Excel
Picture
Reader
inbox

Old 10-23-2003, 09:25 PM
kiwi
Thinker
Default yawn..

:zzz:
I think I'll skip a generation and stick to my 2210.

Old 10-23-2003, 09:43 PM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

Wow, this is incredible!!! I was so sold on an IPAQ 5555 cause the main selling point was the built-in Bluetooth & WiFi. What sells me on the Toshiba is screen resolution, 4" screen, CF slot, SD slot &&& it's smaller/lighter than the IPAQ! Though it I add a Bluetooth card, it will add an ounce or two to the overall weight, bringing it identical to the IPAQ.

I'm going to wait about a month before I make my choice. This is a tough one....