Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 10-17-2003, 12:30 AM
dh
Mystic
Default Back to the playoffs for a moment

What do you all think of the commentators on Fox? I find them really annoying.

The commentators I like best (apart from our local guys doing the Phillies games) are John Miller and Joe Morgan who do the Sunday night ESPN games. Shame ESPN/ABC are not showing these games.

I've noticed that the Miller/Morgan team is doing radio commentory for the playoffs which is much better than what we are getting on TV. What I should do is turn down the TV volume and have the radio for sound. Only problem is my stereo doesn't seem to receive AM signals, I think I need a different antenna.

Old 10-17-2003, 01:02 AM
Jacob
Pontificator

I"m not a big fan of them, but they're not as bad as any US hockey commentators...

Old 10-17-2003, 01:04 AM
JustinGTP
Mystic

I sometimes find that they talk too much, as if I need to know what they are doing when I already know eh!

Old 10-17-2003, 01:36 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Re: Back to the playoffs for a moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh
The commentators I like best (apart from our local guys doing the Phillies games) are John Miller and Joe Morgan who do the Sunday night ESPN games. Shame ESPN/ABC are not showing these games.
8O 8O 8O No! That's not even close to best commentary. Miller/Morgan blow out McCarver & co. any day, but they're far from really good commentators.

If you're ever in our corner of the NE, tune to 880 and listen to a Yankees game with Stiener/Sterling, or take a look at YES with Kay/Kaat, or even listen to Gary Cohen covering Mets games on 660. John Sterling and Michael Kay are amongst the best commentators I've ever heard. I learned much of baseball through them. And they don't talk about meaningless drivel -- they go into the real strategy, statistics, play virtual manager, etc.

Anyway, of all the commentators on Fox, Al Leiter gets my vote. He's a fantastic conversationalist, and he's done a stellar job during the NLCS explaining pitching strategy. I think once he retires he should become a full-time analyst/commentator.

--janak

Old 10-17-2003, 01:52 AM
dh
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Anyway, of all the commentators on Fox, Al Leiter gets my vote. He's a fantastic conversationalist, and he's done a stellar job during the NLCS explaining pitching strategy. I think once he retires he should become a full-time analyst/commentator.
I was really bitching about TV commentators. Radio ones tend to be better just about all the time. I drive a lot in North Jersey and New England so I listen to the 880 guys quite often and I agree they are good. Nearly as good as the old Radio Three cricket commentators.

Al Leiter is for sure the best of the Fox guys. He must be getting pretty close to hanging up his glove and he certainly could make it in broadcasting. This guy they have today, Brett Boone, is not too impressive.

I see Boston have scored so it's back to the game.

Old 10-17-2003, 01:55 AM
Mark Kenepp
Thinker

Everybody loves their local guys, or should.

John Miller is great especially when teamed up with Mike Krukow he on the Giants' Television Network. Of course the best are Duane Kuiper and Mike Krukow.

Though it has been close to 10 years since I heard them, the two guys who did the Penguin Hockey Network were the best I ever heard.

I do think that much is lost with the national broadcasters.

Old 10-17-2003, 03:02 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh
Al Leiter is for sure the best of the Fox guys. He must be getting pretty close to hanging up his glove and he certainly could make it in broadcasting. This guy they have today, Brett Boone, is not too impressive.
Boone is doing the ALCS, while Al was doing the NLCS. Bret is a smart guy, but I don't think he has a presence at the microphone. I learned that Aaron's Boone nickname was "Arnie", but that was about it. :lol:

Quote:
I see Boston have scored so it's back to the game.
Well... at this rate I'll be on the sidelines very shortly too.

--janak

Old 10-17-2003, 03:55 AM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

I like Steve Stone.

He and Chip Carey make a good team.

Old 10-17-2003, 03:38 PM
doogald
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
If you're ever in our corner of the NE, tune to 880 and listen to a Yankees game with Stiener/Sterling, or take a look at YES with Kay/Kaat, or even listen to Gary Cohen covering Mets games on 660. John Sterling and Michael Kay are amongst the best commentators I've ever heard. I learned much of baseball through them. And they don't talk about meaningless drivel -- they go into the real strategy, statistics, play virtual manager, etc.
Oh, you have GOT to be kidding! Honestly, John Sterling is easily the WORST baseball commentator I have ever heard, especially with that terrible affectation ("the..... pitch...."). He is a homer, one of the worst I have heard - and I grew up listening to Frank Messer, Phil Rizzuto, and Ralph Kiner. Michael Kay does not seem to know all that much about baseball either. Charlie Steiner being added to that booth improved it 1000% (yes, because it was 10 times worse than it ever should have been).

Jon Miller is a very good baseball announcer. Especially compared with Sterling and Kay :roll:

Old 10-17-2003, 03:41 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald
Oh, you have GOT to be kidding! Honestly, John Sterling is easily the WORST baseball commentator I have ever heard, especially with that terrible affectation ("the..... pitch....").
I agree that Sterling's antics aren't always the best, but I guess you have different tastes than I. I know a lot of people here who mute the ESPN or FOX game and listen to 880 instead (and used to listen to 770).

Quote:
and I grew up listening to Frank Messer, Phil Rizzuto, and Ralph Kiner.
Well, I can't compare against you there by any stretch.

Quote:
Charlie Steiner being added to that booth improved it 1000% (yes, because it was 10 times worse than it ever should have been).
Hah! I thought it made it 10 times worse -- I can't count the number of times he calls the pitch and the play about 3 seconds after it's already happened. Go figure. :razzing: I didn't realize announcers were so personal, but I guess they are.

Do you agree with me on my assessment of McCarver, at least? My "favorite" quote of his during the playoffs so far was McCarver saying "You better bet your mobile home that Soriano will run on this next pitch." Mobile home? Huh? And, by the way, he didn't run.

--janak