Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 10-05-2003, 05:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Pocket PC Minds Reviews the Blackberry 7210

http://www.pocketpcminds.com/mirase...icle.php?id=150

I've never used a Blackberry myself, so I found this review by a fellow Pocket PC user to be enlightening. Check it out!

"Now that I have been using my Blackberry 7210 from AT&T Wireless for several weeks I thought it was time to post an article on it. Now seeing that we are currently a Pocket PC oriented website I know some people may ask why. I would answer this by saying that we hope with our product reviews that we can help people make educated decision on what devices best meet their needs both from a personal and professional stand point. Also look for some changes in the devices we cover coming over the next few weeks. Unlike Pocket PC�s and Palm OS devices that I have used in the past this device is meant for one handed operation. Now this is no a slam on the other devices it just different. As a power user of handhelds, well as least I think of myself that way. There are things I like and things I dislike..."

Old 10-05-2003, 06:25 AM
JustinGTP
Mystic

So are you posting this up for us to make an important decision on whether to go with palm or pocket pc? :lol:

Old 10-05-2003, 06:32 AM
mclaughlinc
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to mclaughlinc Send a message via MSN to mclaughlinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda_Civic_Si
So are you posting this up for us to make an important decision on whether to go with palm or pocket pc? :lol:
I never been describe as the sharpest nail in the bucket but I do not know what you mean by this statement. This artilce is the first of several I am planning on writing about Research in Motion wireless technology. What may not be clear now is the that Microsoft, HTC, Symbian and Palm have all licensed RIM's wireless technology. So one of the next articles I am writing will discuss how these companies plan to use this technology in their future products. Also what that means to owners of devices that have this technology when you are connected to a BES server.

I for one am surprise at what I am finding out and what I think this means.

Old 10-05-2003, 06:40 AM
kel_cheng
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to kel_cheng

I had myself used a BlackBerry before (it was 5810 and 6710 series).
The wireless email feature is not only useful, but downright addictive. I found myself emailing to colleagues in the middle of the night, on the bed. :lol:

However, BlackBerry's PIM and other software offering is really lacking. If that technology is developed over on other platform with proven hard- / soft-ware, it could be amazing.

Btw, RIM's so called attachment viewing feature is kind of... :cry:

Old 10-05-2003, 03:10 PM
dh
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaughlinc
So one of the next articles I am writing will discuss how these companies plan to use this technology in their future products.
It is going to be very interesting to see how this technology is implimented in new PDAs and Smartphones. I assume that the Good Technology system that Dell is working with is a competitive alternative.

As you mentioned in your article, the e-mail in the Blackberry is great but the other features are lacking. A device that provides this level of e-mail support with full PDA functionality will be fantastic.

Old 10-05-2003, 05:51 PM
mhoepfin
Neophyte
Default Also consider the Color Sidekick..

Anyone thinking about this, should also consider looking at the Danger Hiptop Color Sidekick (Tmobile). I have had one for almost a year and love it. It replaced my Ipaq and cell phone for day to day use.

I still use the Ipaq for GPS/MP3 in the car though...

Old 10-05-2003, 06:33 PM
acronym
Intellectual

been thinking about both of these devices for quite some time. But until they come with bluetooth or similar technology for wireless headsets and data transfer, l'm not buying.

Old 10-05-2003, 07:19 PM
iPaqDude
Intellectual

Until lately, I had viewed the RIM products with some distain and was trying to steer my company away from them and into a more pure-play PDA-type of direction. After doing a some fairly extensive research, product evaluations and demos, - and soul searching - I have really done a 180 on these devices.

If you put mobile devices into a couple of categories - laptops, tablets, full-function PDAs and basic function/PIM devices, then start disecting your user population and aligning their needs/wants/real requirments, you start finding out that there is indeed a segment - primarily the executive/high-level decision makers - that are only really requiring the type of basic mobile functionality and real-time accessability that the RIM-type devices give.

And now that they have bundled in the cellular via the AT&T or Nextel deals, the appeal to the executives is even greater. They really represent more of a converged device - albeit rudimentary - than do many of the PDA/phone devices that are in use.

Anyway, my .02 on these. I am a diehard Pocket PC power user, but will more than likely start letting these devices in to satisfy the need of our upper executive level needs. Actually, we are probably one of the few Fortune 200 companies that are not using them....

Old 10-05-2003, 08:21 PM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

I gave up my iPaq about 3 months ago to move to this BlackBerry (BlueBerry for those on the "inside") and it was a real eye opener for me. I found in the end that MP3 playback and higher resolution displays to "watch movies" was a far cry from my real needs in a PDA.

The biggest gains I got from the BB are the obvious ones...always on email and the keyboard. I can fly on that thing and I've been using a stylus to input to PDAs for many years. In the old days of stylus input I'd have a mini debate with myself about if an email was worth responding to. With the BB, it's a simple simple task and I don't hesitate to send responses.

That said, be careful what you ask for. The final straw for my wanting to move back to a BB was always on email. I used to resent manual downloads of email on my iPaq. I'd do it when I thought about it and sometimes emails that were urgent weren't responded to for an hour or 2 because I didn't download them until then. SO...With the BB, they come almost instantly. Great. Right? I still believe so, but the rub is that email comes on the BB's terms now versus my old iPaq days when it came when I was ready. I've had to be very mindful of rejecting the call of the BB at the dinner table or when out with friends (you know when you're supposed to be sharing with them).

Aside from that, I'd say RIM should investigate adding a real spell checker and as the reviewer mentioned, attachment support is pretty poor (It'll open the usual suspects, but that's not to say you'll like what you see.). If the PPC camp can get a keyboard and BB functions combined with their OS, it might be an intersting device (Battery life aside). Speaking of which, I've had my device off charger for over a week with phone use and no off time and haven't even received a battery warning. RIM did a great job on the battery issue. I could go on, but in all big thumbs up on this device.

Oh yeah, one more thing, I think you could use this thing as a hockey puck and it wouldn't be any worse for the wear. I drop mine all the time and have not had a single worry or issue with it. Very well built device. Had to post this addition after reading about the 2215s falling apart.

Old 10-05-2003, 09:00 PM
jake
Pupil

Jason,

Can you please explain to me why when I try to offer a different enlightening perspective with the Treo 600 you brand me a troll but when you do the same thing with the Blackberry it is just peachy keen???

After all they are both devices that are designed for one handed operation?

Jason, I told you years ago that I though you should not be closed minded with PocketPCThoughs.com and also talk about the competition because in the final analysis we ALL want the best tools!!!

Jake