Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 10-03-2003, 06:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Iomega DCT 1.5GB Cartridges for $15?

http://www.dinside.no/php/art.php?id=93929

I reported on this new Iomega Clik/PocketZip-like design a few months ago. According to a Norwegian source, the DCT 1.5GB disks will be approximately $15 each! 8O

That price point does make it attractive. If anyone knows Norwegian, please post a translation in this thread -- I couldn't find any web-based conversion tools from Norwegian to English.

Old 10-03-2003, 06:08 PM
mr_Ray
Intellectual
Default Re: Iomega DCT 1.5GB Cartridges for $15?

No, that price point doesn't make it attrative - it makes it crazily attractive!!

If the power consumption is low enough and they can be added to PPCs, cameras, etc in an easy enough way, I see no reason why they shouldn't be a big success.
$15 for a rewritable tiny 1.5GB disk... woah...

Old 10-03-2003, 06:10 PM
rudolph
Ponderer

I got my 600m notebook around the time when dell was offering free upgrade to DVD+RW. I got a few 4.7 gb cd's for ~$3.50 CND each. Much cheaper than $15 (US I assume) for 1.5gb. I'd rather have a DVD writer and CF/SD cards than these disks.

[edit]
ok, I didn't realize these are that small... in which case yea, $15/1.5 gb is really good for pocket pcs and cameras and such. But I still prefer dvdrw's and cdrw as floppy replacements for desktops. I'm always afraid of loosing my SD and CF cards. Of course, if they were $15/1.5gb I wouldn't worry that much.... hm.... ok, these do seem quite interesting.. I want one

Old 10-03-2003, 06:18 PM
prismejon
Intellectual

Ok, here's a translation. Sorry about the bad english, I'm in a hurry:

DinSide.no Computers has gotten a confirmation from Iomega that DCT (Digital Capture Technology) will be released next summer. Iomega are hoping that this very small and robust disc will be as successfull as their ZIP-drives. The first official showing of the small disc will be at this years Comdex show in Las Vegas in November.

Small and robust
According to Robert Hedman, DCT will be 10 times faster than a typical memory card. In addition the packing is made of robust metall and DCT requires much less power than memory cards.

DCT has been developed by DCT in cooperation with Fujifilm, Citizen and Texas Instruments. Iomega are currently negoatiating with several hardware manufacturers about integrating DCT in products like cell phones, PDAs and digital cameras.

Cheap
The best thing will probably be the price, which Hedman asseses to be approx. 100NOK (=$15) a piece. This would make it a very strong competitor compared to todays CF, SD and memory sticks.

Hedman says Iomega DCT is fully developed and will be in stores next summer.

Jeff Song
Thoughts Media Review Team
Send a message via AIM to Jeff Song

Thats great that you have a dvd burner. Lets see you put those dvds in your PDA. oh,and lets see how much it costs to have a 1.5gb flash card in your Pocket pc. Around 150-200? Yea, 15 is 1/10 of that, and it won't take up a slot. I think this price point is going to do something for handhelds cameras, and anything else that needs memory in a small form.

griegomas
Neophyte

the thing is, 15 bucks for 1.5 gig isnt very good. cdrw cost almost nothing per disk and it only takes about 2 of em to equal one of these iomega thingys. on the other hand, if, like the other poster said, these could be incorporated into ppc's along with the usual cf or sd slot for faster storage then these new disks would rock.

Old 10-03-2003, 06:22 PM
Jeff Song
Thoughts Media Review Team
Send a message via AIM to Jeff Song

I don't think that people get this-its great that you can get a cd-r for 10 cents now. However, can you put these in a pda and use them? The point is, there has never been an option as cheap as this for memory in this size that can be put in handhelds or cameras-which is why this is big news.

Old 10-03-2003, 06:27 PM
GoldKey
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by griegomas
the thing is, 15 bucks for 1.5 gig isnt very good. cdrw cost almost nothing per disk and it only takes about 2 of em to equal one of these iomega thingys. on the other hand, if, like the other poster said, these could be incorporated into ppc's along with the usual cf or sd slot for faster storage then these new disks would rock.
They are not meant to compete with a CDRW. By your logic, those must be real rip-offs. They compete with CF and SD, the problem is are any manufacturers really ready for another standard. I like CF because it is relatively cheap and everywhere, my desktop, notebook, pda, camera, printer all have CF slots. This wins on the cheap side, but it would be doubtful that it could get the penetration of CF.

Old 10-03-2003, 06:31 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
However, can you put these in a pda and use them? The point is, there has never been an option as cheap as this for memory in this size that can be put in handhelds or cameras-which is why this is big news.
Ah, but let's not forget that Iomega isn't developing these to a CF formfactor - the PDAs will have to either include one on-board, or include a whole new type of slot for it. Same thing with the camera. Remember Dataplay? Interesting technology, but there wasn't any real traction from the device side. Until you start to see devices offering this, it's not as exciting as you might think. That said, if they can come up with a small reader and perhaps a PCMCIA adaptor, I see some interesting possibilities.

Old 10-03-2003, 06:36 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Thanks prismejon!

As compared to DataPlay -- yes, you need the proprietary reader -- but on the other hand having a fast magnetic medium does have its applications. I don't think it'll establish dominance either, but it may have its useful niches. Besides, this is rewriteable, as opposed to Dataplay which I believe was only single-write (or CD-R, for that matter).

--janak