Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 10-01-2003, 07:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Rumors About The iPAQ 6000

http://www.pocketpcitalia.com/cms3/...id=641&zoneid=1

It certainly seems as if HP is the "Sony" of Pocket PCs in the frequency of their new releases. Hot on the recent 4xxx iPAQ news, Pocket PC Italia is now suggesting that HP may be working on an iPAQ 6000. The Google translation suggests that this will be a device with quadband (e.g., 800/900/1800/1900MHz) GSM/GPRS, WiFi, Bluetooth, a 1850mAh battery, and will be roughly the size of the 2215 (but will only have an SD slot). Apparently, it's also supposed to have an integrated VGA camera.

No pictures, but whoa. 8O I hope it's true, because I want one! :mrgreen:

Old 10-01-2003, 07:11 PM
Eos
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to Eos
Default Ipaq 6000

Can't say no more...but less the VGA screen, this has more "substance" in it than a casual rumor...check your sources..

Old 10-01-2003, 07:14 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Re: Ipaq 6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eos
Can't say no more...but less the VGA screen, this has more "substance" in it than a casual rumor...check your sources..
Well, until it's officially announced, it's a rumor, isn't it?

Re the VGA screen: I've read on other threads it's supposed to mean "VGA camera", and I've updated my post.

--janak

Old 10-01-2003, 07:17 PM
Birdman
Theorist

If it is a GSM/GPRS device then presumably it would run on PPCPE OS. Correct? (or not necessarily?).

If so, does that mean that by its very nature, this unit is "unlocked" and could be used with a SIM from any GSM/GPRS provider?

Anytime I would read about Dell or HP possibly coming to market with a GSM/GPRS device, this is my first question. I am so used to the cel phone carriers being the only parties that sell "phone" type devices, (and that generally lock these devices to the carrier) it would be fantastic if other manuf. started bringing devices to market which are unlocked and can be used with SIMs from a variety of providers.

Old 10-01-2003, 07:17 PM
Eos
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to Eos

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Janak, now this sounds more like it..

Old 10-01-2003, 07:18 PM
a.morreale
Neophyte

The blurb on PocketPC Italia mentions an "integrated VGA Camera"...

It doesn't provide any hint on screen resolution.

Old 10-01-2003, 07:21 PM
don dre
Intellectual

I want that battery (current 2215 owner.)

Old 10-01-2003, 07:21 PM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

If it has 128MB of RAM, that device would rock. Otherwise I'll have to go with the 5555. 128MB would make all the difference to me!

Old 10-01-2003, 07:27 PM
Philip Colmer
Thoughts Media Review Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman
If it is a GSM/GPRS device then presumably it would run on PPCPE OS. Correct? (or not necessarily?).

If so, does that mean that by its very nature, this unit is "unlocked" and could be used with a SIM from any GSM/GPRS provider?
Unfortunately, it doesn't necessarily mean that it will be unlocked. The xda devices sold by mm02 in the UK are Pocket PCs with GSM hardware but they are most definitely SIM-locked.

(Although it is possible to unlock it afterwards if you know where to find the tools ...)

--Philip

Old 10-01-2003, 07:31 PM
xendula
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Colmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman

Unfortunately, it doesn't necessarily mean that it will be unlocked. The xda devices sold by mm02 in the UK are Pocket PCs with GSM hardware but they are most definitely SIM-locked.

(Although it is possible to unlock it afterwards if you know where to find the tools ...)

--Philip
Locked here in Germany,too, unless you buy those on Ebay unlocked or pay an "unlocking" fee.

:?: But where in the world do they use GSM 800 ???!!??!?!?!?!?!