Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 10-01-2003, 05:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default JVC cancels two first Pocket PCs

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4132.html

infoSync World has a quick blurb about a JVC spokesperson confirming that they won't be releasing their line of iO devices this year - instead waiting until next year. :| <sigh> First Gateway, now JVC. What's with these companies announcing things then changing their minds? I have a lot more respect for a company like HP that announces a product right when it's available rather than promoting vapourware. Hopefully when JVC comes back next year they'll be here to stay - the iO looked quite interesting.

Old 10-01-2003, 05:03 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

According to the news blurb they are cancelling their FIRST GENERATION handheld (the one we've seen posted here earlier this year), and waiting until next year when the SECOND GENERATION product is ready. Frankly I think this was a wise move. Their first product was just plain ugly, and big. Hope they get it right the second time. :roll:

Old 10-01-2003, 05:08 PM
powder2000
Thinker

It's obvious these companies who are new comers to the ppc realm are figuring out they need to offer more at a better price point to be viable. Both JVC and Gateway were planning to release two non-wireless handhelds at a higher price than similar offerings from Dell and HP(forget about Toshiba). It looks like they are either thinking twice about entering the market or are refining their designs so that they can actually sell the things. They may also be waiting on the new ppc os so that they can have some sourt of a level playing field when they announce their release dates, maybe trying to get a jump on the competition. If JVC wants to really release a multimedia ppc, a better screen would definitely be a great selling point.

Old 10-01-2003, 05:16 PM
dean_shan
Mystic

But it looked so good. Oh well, I'm waiting for PPC2k4 for my next device.

Old 10-01-2003, 05:34 PM
Sslixtis
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Sslixtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by powder2000
Both JVC and Gateway were planning to release two non-wireless handhelds at a higher price than similar offerings from Dell and HP(forget about Toshiba). It looks like they are either thinking twice about entering the market or are refining their designs so that they can actually sell the things.
JVC MP-PV331 Pocket PC Technical data

Dimensions: 13.2 x 7.6 x 1.7cm
Weight: 170g
Shortcut Keys: Yes
Jog Dial: Yes
Processor: 400 MHz Intel PXA255 XScale
RAM: 128MB
Operating System: Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC
Upgradeable OS: Yes
USB Cradle: Yes
Wireless: 802.11b
Infrared: Yes
Expansions Slots: Compact Flash Type I,II, MMC, SD Card
Screen Size: 3.5 inches
Resolution: 240 x 320
Color: Yes
Speaker: Yes
Microphone: Yes
Earphone Jack: Yes
Battery Type: 1100 mAh Lithium Polymer

And it had a flip cover like the Jornada!

I feel totally sold out by JVC, this device was the only reason I waited to buy a new PPC. They will have to come out with a device twice as good as the competition and at the exact time i'm ready to buy, i'll not wait on any device by them again, ever! They have only proven to me that their word means nothing and they are not to be trusted.

Old 10-01-2003, 05:49 PM
surur
Mystic

I must say I feel sorry that JVC decided to quit the market for this pocketpc, which came to the table with a really innovative angle, that of being first of all a multimedia (especially video) device.

I wonder if it is not directly due to the panning this device received on the premier pocketpc news forum, where everybody said *nobody* will buy it, and this was mainly due to the appearance, of the device, not the features. Obviously it was already at an advanced state of development, and cancelling it now indicates that JVC did not want to throw good money after bad.

My main concern is that this is a trend. In combination with Toshiba, it means 2 far eastern manufacturers are intending to get out of the pocketpc market (surely toshiba is going that way, and I'm not convinced JVC is really going to release a so-called 2nd generation device). It could turn pocketpc into a version of the x-box: big in america, but not adopted anywhere else. And I dont think this is ultimately a good thing for the future.

So next time some-body comes out with an innovative device, lets rather encourage them, and give then a chance to work out the kinks while in the market, as apposed to not entering the market at all.

My 2c

Surur

Old 10-01-2003, 05:54 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

At least the JVC model was offering something a little different than the rest, with it's video centric capabilities. At the end of the day though, I imagine they decided there wasn't a big enough market for such a specialized PPC. I too, am disappointed, but hopefully the statement about 2nd generation devices means there is some true innovation coming down the road for our PPC's.

In a lot of ways I think this is showing that the PPC market is starting to mature. Electronics companies can't just slap their name on a generic device and sell it through their normal channels. Consumers are starting to demand that the new devices be something different than a new paint job and updated processor.

Whydidnt

Old 10-01-2003, 10:18 PM
Crystal Eitle
Sage

:mecry: :mecry: :mecry:

This was the only Pocket PC in the works that had all the features I wanted. Guess I'll have to hang on to my good 'ol iPaq 1910 for a while.

Given my financial situation, perhaps that's for the best.

Old 10-01-2003, 10:30 PM
bbarker
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sslixtis
And it had a flip cover like the Jornada!
That was its best feature and the main reason I was looking for this model. But when their release date came and went it was clear something was up. Too bad.

Old 10-02-2003, 03:49 AM
Gremmie
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by powder2000
It's obvious these companies who are new comers to the ppc realm are figuring out they need to offer more at a better price point to be viable. Both JVC and Gateway were planning to release two non-wireless handhelds at a higher price than similar offerings from Dell and HP(forget about Toshiba). It looks like they are either thinking twice about entering the market or are refining their designs so that they can actually sell the things.
Uh, given the reaction here and the previous anticipation, I'm not sure if demand was the problem. It's not uncommon for things to be cancelled, I think they just might have pulled the trigger early when announcing it. I would probably chalk it up to internal costing and parts availability. And nothing from Dell can compare feature-wise with the wireless and unique features (i.e. on board USB).